From the closed doorway, among the crying, I hear "I guess Sydney wants his Mommy." so, I went into the darkened room and sat down on the floor.
Sydney runs over to me and says "teeth". (Immediately, I notice that he is wearing JUST a long-sleeved onesie.)
"Did you brush his teeth?" I asked. "He just told you he wants to brush his teeth. Can you please turn the light back on? Sydney KNOWS the drill, you know."
Mike turns on the lamp to discover the Elmo toothbrush, sitting on the nightstand ready to go. Mike hands Sydney the toothbrush. "Thank you." Sydney replies.
Sydney returns to my lap to brush his teeth. His jammies are laid out on the armrest of the chair.
"Did you notice that he didn't have his jammies on yet or were you planning on putting him to bed without them tonight?" I questioned. "He needs his diaper changed into a night diaper yet, too."
"No, but I probably would have noticed it when I went to out him in his bed after he was asleep." (We laughed.)
After Sydney was diapered and dressed, we read a couple of books – repeats, I'm sure – and THEN, we turned out the lamp light. He snuggled with me - placing his head on my belly - for a minute or so before questioning "Dada?" as if checking to see that Daddy was still in the room. (Mike had most likely been sleeping during the stories... as he tends to cover his eyes from the light and tune out the distractions.)
"Yeah, Sydney?" Mike replied.
"Do you want to go snuggle with Daddy?" I asked.
Sydney ran over into the corner of the room and snuggled with Mike on the floor.
"Ni-night! I love you!" I announced as I turned off the ceiling projector clock light and made sure the "white noise" radio was turned on at the right level of loudness. I snuck out of the room, leaving Daddy and Sydney snuggling together for a few more minutes in the corner.
The weeks that Mike closes are hard(er) for us because Sydney LIKES having both of us participating in bedtime. With Mike being gone for most nights during his 2-week closing shift(s), Sydney misses Daddy at bedtime and REALLY ENJOYS the 2-week opening shift(s) that follows.
I'm not sure HOW exactly we'll handle bedtime once Silas is with us and Mike is closing. I guess I can be thankful for an overnight remodel where Mike will most likely be "STUCK" opening for most of the month of July. THAT will be nice for our bedtime routine.
No comments:
Post a Comment