To clarify for the following story: FREAK OUT = whining, crying, sobbing uncontrollably with actual TEARS rolling down his cheeks and no apparent reason to fuss. (Not typical behavior or reaction for Sydney.... EVER!)
When I got Sydney out of his crib, he indicated that he wanted to eat. When asking him what he wanted, he pointed to the cabinet where we keep oatmeal. After I got it out, he started freaking out and pointing to the cereal cabinet instead. So, we switched modes to cold cereal. After I got him seated and eating the cereal flavor of his choice (Kix... our newest trial with breakfast cereals) he freaked out that he wanted to drink some milk. After I got him some milk, he took a few drinks and freaked out indicating that he wanted JUICE. So, I got him some juice... then, he was freaking out that he wanted UP and that he wanted oatmeal afterall. When making oatmeal, he decided he wanted a banana, but had to cut it with a butterknife himself because he is a big boy. Quickly, however, he changed his mind... deciding he wanted some raisins instead. With a full pile of raisins on his plate, he freaked out that I had put the raisins back into the cupboard; I reminded him that he had LOTS of raisins on his plate already AND he has some in his oatmeal. I took him in to change his night diaper. He pulled off his socks. After the new diaper was on, I started to re-dress him into his jammies and he freaked out over the socks that he had JUST taken off. I tried to put his socks on him and he screamed "NO, ME!" so, I backed off and announced "OK, YOU do it!" to which he screamed and cried "MAMA HELP!" He freaked out again, kicked his feet and threw yet another major temper tantrum. I stood him up and gave him a hug. Soon, he decided that he DID want his socks on and he wanted MOMMY to put them onto his feet. By then, the oatmeal had cooled enough to eat, I attempted to sit him back in his booster seat. He freaked out again... demanding to go watch tv now. I stood my ground and informed him that we are eating breakfast NOW. He pushed the plate of oatmeal away and indicated ALL DONE before he had even eaten a bite. I informed him that he isn't able to blow off 2 different breakfast selections and that we ARE GOING TO EAT BREAKFAST RIGHT NOW! Thankfully, for a few minutes, he complied and ate a little bit of oatmeal before opting to smear it all over his hands, the table and into his hair.
He attempted to throw another fit after breakfast - again, wanting tv. As I started cleaning up all of his breakfast mess (and throwing away all of the food that he wanted, but did NOT want to consume) he carried on and on. "That's enough now." I calmly stated. He, turned off the fussing and tears like a light switch. "You need to go find something to do... go read some books, go find some puzzles or go play with some toys." (And he did - JUST THAT!)
I made myself something to eat and then started prepping some things for dinner tonight. Soon, Sydney came into the kitchen - as calm as can be - to help. We got him a chair to stand on and he played at the kitchen counter for a really long time. We had almost NO MELT-DOWNS for the rest of the day. Whatever had been bothering him had worked itself out. (Sadly, by that point, I had felt overly stressed and quite anxious for my scheduled 3pm massage to come; it is difficult... wearing on your nerves... to have a day start out like this!)
Using a $20 remaining gift certificate credit from Grandma Carol (from my baby shower during Sydney's pregnancy) and a $50 gift certificate credit from Mike (as a thank you for keeping the house clean last month), I enjoyed an hour massage - specific for pregnant women: The best part is that they have a special pillow - with a hollowed out middle - so that I could lay ON MY STOMACH for an hour!!! It was ABSOLUTELY DELIGHTFUL!!!!
I don't anticipate relaxation like this again until after Silas is born and I am free to enjoy the spa-like qualities of the hospital birthing suite... going to the bathroom without a toddler pushing my butt off the toilet to see inside, without someone randomly wiping my leg with toilet paper, without someone turning the bathroom light on & off, without the shower curtain flying open and a friendly "HI MOM!" coming in with a blast of cold air, without having company in my bathtub with me while I bathe... YES, that one hour massage was delightfully relaxing and I left there feeling GREAT!!!
Thank you Carol, Mike AND Body & Soul Wellness Center & Spa... YOU made my day a great one!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment