Sunday, April 10, 2011

Fever is NO FUN!

Sydney showered with Mike last night before bed and I had noticed as I was putting his jammies onto him, that he felt rather warm. During the night, he woke a handful of times - always requesting a drink of water. Each time, I confirmed that his skin felt VERY WARM, but I did not decide to medicate him if he wasn't really complaining of anything.

By 3:30am, I had unzipped his jammies in an attempt to cool him off. Then, I decided to change his diaper and officially take his temperature. (I didn't really NEED TO... his bright red cheeks and fire-hot skin spoke more than words!)

After a few brief seconds, it had soared to 101.3°F while he squirmed and cried, protesting the rectal thermometer. I decided that was all the proof I needed so, we stopped before time was up and proceeded with the diaper change. At that point, I gave him some tylenol to help his fever and he opted to sleep in bed with mommy & daddy.

He woke up happy and refreshed. His cheeks are still flush, but do not feel warm to the touch at all. He has been in good spirits all day long, but has not had a full appetite yet today.

Non-medical diagnosis: Part of me wondered if he had gotten hand, foot and mouth disease again... as he had a rash on his butt a few nights ago as well. He has been seen drinking cups of water out of the bathtub (GROSS!) and eating sand (on purpose) from the sandbox, as well as putting rocks in his mouth.

I look forward to getting a price quote from a local contractor for redoing our bathroom. We hope to level the floor and replace the tub that had a HUGE hidden crack in it from the previous owners. That tub, grossly enough, always has a small puddle of funky water standing in the bottom of it so, for Sydney to drink bath water REALLY grosses me out! A new tub, surround, toilet and leveled floor will be SO NICE!!! (If only we can get it done before the baby comes... when I know that I will need to soak a few times a day...)

No comments: