Thursday, April 21, 2011

Signs of intelligence

Sydney demonstrates signs of intelligence. We checked out some new books from the library a few days ago. One of the books, we read to him THREE TIMES. Last night, he brought the book to me, opened to a specific page and announced "Hush, Hush, SSssshhhh!" which were the words on the page. Then, he flipped to another page and announced "Zip. Pocket." when the page indicated "zip it, lock it, put it in your pocket".

Seriously... we read it THREE TIMES and he already had some of it memorized.

We also checked out an alphabet book that had lowercase letters that same day. Mike didn't like it (that book) because we have been teaching him uppercase letters and Mike thought lowercase would confuse him. Turns out, Sydney keeps opening to random pages of that book as well and is announcing a bunch of letters already.

Interesting...

Now, if only we could get the smartie pants to grasp the concept of time-outs... he still finds them comical and fun. Yesterday, he had 4 in a row and I even started increasing the time limit to get his attention. Finally, he quit the offending behavior and found something else to do. After dinner, however, he had it out for Eddy-the-cat and thought it would be fun to hit him, pull his hair and torment him. That landed Sydney in immediate timeout... another four sessions-worth! (When the timer went off, he would immediately run straight back to the poor cat to do it again. After the 4th T.O., he ran to the cat as I held my breath.... seriously he can't be THAT SILLY, can he? Thankfully, he ran to Eddy and pet him gently and then kissed him. (I was SO RELIEVED!)

I am pleased to report that today, we had NO TIME-OUTS at all!

Sydney wanted to dress himself this morning. He put his pants on all by himself. He put his arms into his shirt, but put them into the sleeve end instead of the correct way so, Mike had to help him.

We had been having a lovely lunch when Sydney had suddenly decided to sky-rocket his cup across the table. (He did it yesterday, landing on Mike's dinner plate. We're pretending NOT to notice because if he knows that it upsets us, he tends to continue and enhance the behavior.) Soon, the fork followed. I calmly reached over and grabbed his plate (before that could be projected).

The little stinker reached over and grabbed my hand. He pulled one of my fingers towards his mouth and attempted to bite me. Instead, I moved my hand in a way that he almost bit HIMSELF instead. He seemed surprised and soon, tried again. Remaining emotionless, I continued to move my hand in various positions so that he was not able to bite me. Soon, he decided to let go of my hand and stop biting. I felt as if VICTORY was mine!

Eddy-the-cat was also an object of affection today. He got a lot of hugs, kisses and gentle pets from Sydney. It was a good day!

Patty, our Parents as Teachers representative, came today to work with Sydney at our house. Today, she brought a textured puzzle and a giant bag of goodies for him to explore and play with. They also read three books together because it is hard to turn down a sweet request for "MORE BOOKS PLEASE (peace)".

This afternoon, when we went to visit Daddy at work for dinner, Sydney insisted upon putting his shoes on himself. Proudly, he got his feet into both shoes, but he was unable to get his heel down into the shoes so, despite walking oddly around the dining room, his feet did NOT slip into position. It was funny to witness that as soon as I had the closet door open to get the diaper bag, Sydney announced "SHOES" (oosh) and grabbed an adult pair of shoes, which are MUCH BIGGER and easier to put on. He was pretty convinced that I was going to take him out wearing size 11 women's Merrell sandals. (Eventually, I pushed the issue and offered assistance so that he could wear his toddler Nike tennis shoes instead... a much better fit!) It did make for some great laughs for me and some photo opportunities though!

No comments: