Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Big baby, small belly = counting down




My blood pressure was good. My weight gain was acceptable. There was no protein in my urine. Some fluid retention in both of my legs and feet, but at least I have been wearing my support hose! (Doc walked in on me attempting to get out of them, which is hard to do standing on one leg!)

Height of uterus measured at almost 33 weeks - even though I am almost 37 weeks pregnant. Ultrasound DID confirm that I hide my large babies well.

Baby is head down and weighs over 7 pounds already. Boy parts confirmed again. They had a hard time taking head measurements on ultrasound because of the position of his head being at a difficult angle and wedged low into my pelvic cavity. Baby looks healthy... measuring only ONE WEEK LARGE (vs 2 weeks large at last u/s in early March.) Appears to have big feet and a pudgy belly. Plenty of fluids remain for baby to swim in... more fluids than last month, which COULD be affected by my diet.

(Warned to lay off the Reece's peanut butter eggs and dark chocolate raisinets.... grrrr! That COULD cause higher amniotic fluid levels, I'm told, if I am consuming too much sugar. Mike, at least, stood up for me and announced that we REALLY DO NOT eat that much sugar at all.)


We could see baby's mouth moving on the regular ultrasound, as if he was sucking on something. When she switched over to the 3D ultrasound mode, we could see that he was busy sucking on his pudgy fingers. (So, we never did get a very clear shot of what his face looks like... mostly because of his angle in my pelvis and his hand blocking his face.)

Agreed upon a day/time to check into the hospital for induction (if baby doesn't decide to naturally come sooner.)

She asked if she could check me, being that I have plenty of contractions... most likely just PRACTICE ones; I gave her my blessing to do whatever she wants/needs to do. I am currently dilated 1cm and cervix is thinned out 25%. She predicts that THIS WEEK is NOT the week that I would go into spontaneous labor. Saturday is my 37week mark, when baby is officially considered FULL TERM so, doctor has given her blessing that he can decide to come any time after that. Mike keeps pushing for "he's going to wait until NEXT MONTH". She assured me that if I am in labor on my own, they won't turn me away.

No matter what, I am hoping that we'll be able to make things work so that we have someone to watch Sydney, our doctor will be ON CALL when I go into labor and that Mike has coverage at the store so that he'll be able to attend (and help deliver).

Sydney and Mommy toured the hospital birthing unit this morning and there was only ONE BABY in the hospital NICU for us to peek at through the window. He was given some stickers to proudly wear that say "I AM A BIG BROTHER!" as well as some cookies and a box of crayons. (The cookies were his favorite part, as I did not show him the new crayons; I had already purchased a new box of crayons and a new Sesame Street coloring book to give him as a special treat when he visits mommy at the hospital, which is packed in my hospital bag.)

I'm feeling like I am ALMOST prepared/ready for this to happen...

No comments: