Saturday, March 19, 2011

Uh-oh... fat lip reminder that boys get bumps

Late this afternoon, Sydney had decided that he wanted oatmeal for dinner (instead of waiting to eat with Mommy & Daddy) and, like normal, INSISTED upon making it himself!

Right after the microwave beeped, I went to get raisins out of the cabinet. Sydney had been standing on his chair digging in the silverware drawer. Suddenly, with my back turned, I hear a HUGE CRASH and immediate screaming. I turned to find Sydney laying on his back, against the back of his kitchen chair as the whole thing had tipped over backwards. (To be perfectly honest, I have NO IDEA how he managed to tip the entire chair over backwards.)

When he finally caught his breath and calmed down enough, he was able to point to his upper lip to indicate that he had bumped it. (On what, I REALLY don't know, but he did NOT drop the spoon that was in his hand so, I can only guess that it MAY have been his spoon that hit his lip.) It took him a few minutes to regain composure after his scare and fall. It took LESS time for his upper lip to swell.

Mike got home just moments after it had happened and got to see Mommy holding and comforting Sydney as the kitchen chair was still tipped over. Sydney pointed to his lip to tell Daddy that he had hurt it. 

Sydney did think it was pretty cool when Daddy took him into the bathroom to look at his "big boy bump" in the mirror. He wasn't interesting in putting an ice pack on it; he was mostly concerned that he wanted to eat his oatmeal.

Twenty-one months into this journey, I am getting a little more comfortable with the simple fact that: BOYS GET BUMPS!

• • • • • 

Mike got to witness Sydney's head-first flip (over the siderail) into Baby Silas' crib tonight. YES, a crib tent will definitely be needed to ensure the safety of Baby Silas.

BOYS, I tell you...

No comments: