Thursday, March 24, 2011

Meds and Support for Mommy

On Monday, when we went in for our unscheduled OB/GYN appointment for the crazy contractions, the doctor took a swab culture to send in for testing. She had indicated that sometimes something so simple as bacterial growth or yeast infection can cause a disturbance in uterine contractions.

The doctor's office called today to report that there IS an overgrowth of bacteria, which is quite common in pregnancy due to hormonal and pH changes. They are treating me with 7 days worth of antibiotics to clear it up. (The same thing happened the last time I was pregnant, too. Both times now, a cultured swab came back with growth - despite me having NO IDEA that there was ANY PROBLEM whatsoever.)

I have also been drinking PLENTY of fluids since my appointment AND wearing my support hose. My painful contractions have nearly subsided and I am left with Braxton Hicks practice contractions throughout the day/night, but those seem to be slightly less frequent with the extra fluids, too.

We have now ordered Jobst Maternity Compression Stockings for me as well. (Those suckers are NOT cheap... just shy of $90.00!!!!) I am wondering, when they come in on Friday, if we will be able to submit them to insurance. It seems rather pricey for just 44 days remaining until due date, but my badly-veined-leg NEEDS the support! I should be able to wear them post-baby as well... they will just be roomier in the waist, right? Eventually, (post-baby) when my body is "back to normal," I hope to have the vein specialist assess my leg(s) to see about getting them "FIXED".

No comments: