Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Important lesson learned, I hope

Tonight, I got Sydney's toothbrush ready for him and SAT HIM on the seat of the toilet, announcing "We don't want to stand on the toilet when we brush our teeth because it might be slippery. You SIT here. I'll be right back!"

I quickly ran downstairs to grab a diaper for Sydney when I heard a loud CRASH and THUNK, followed by crying. I found Sydney (with toothbrush still in his mouth) stuck between the toilet and the wall, rubbing his back and sobbing. (Thankfully, the toothbrush was NOT part of the equation, as far as HURT is concerned.)

"Are you hurt? Are you hurt OR scared?" I kept repeating as I hugged him and rubbed his back.

Finally, he answered - through tears - "_cared!"

"Were you standing on the toilet?" I quizzed.

He nodded yes, continuing to sob.

"You see why mom told you not to stand on there?"

"Not a good idea." he stated calmly.

When I took his jammies and big boy pants off for him to go potty one last time, I discovered he has a welt and a scrape on his lower back. After putting some triple antibiotic ointment on it and getting a kiss from both mom AND dad, we assured him that he'll be OK.

I'm hoping that he learned from this lesson and remembers that: it is NOT a good idea to stand on a toilet to brush your teeth!

No comments: