Thursday, February 2, 2012

Basket of books at bedtime, Tooth Tales for Silas

We are attempting to outsmart and outwit our toddler. Per Daddy's latest suggestion, I tried to collect some bedtime books in a basket. I explained to Sydney that if he is a good boy, we will read all of the books at bedtime, but if he is naughty/sassy/uncooperative, I will take a book away. (GENUIS! This got his attention!)

Prior to bedtime tonight, Sydney lost ONE BOOK. He did, however, gain one (hidden inside the medicine cabinet with his toothbrush) by brushing his teeth very well. He was keeping close tabs on how many books he had available at bedtime.

During bedtime routine tonight, I showed him another basket of books - out in the hallway. I explained that if he stays in his bed - like a good boy - that we can read ALL OF THOSE bedtime books tomorrow, but if he gets out of bed/fusses/plays games/etc, that he will lose a book for each time.

When he was supposed to be in his bed, I informed him that he needed to lay back down. Sassily, he reported "No! Don't want to!"

"That's ONE BOOK." I announced calmly.

Sydney, immediately crying, ran to his bed - sobbing "Don't wan_ lose one book!" (I assured him that it would be OK to lose one because there were more in the basket.)

He lost a few more for getting out of his bed (again) and yelling "Blanket on!" from the doorway and for claiming he had to go potty. (He had already gone A LOT right before being diapered.) Although, after talking to Daddy, we decided that we should give him the opportunity to go potty and if it was a game, he would lose a book. IF he DID REALLY GO potty, he would not lose a book. (I guess I owe him one MORE book back since he hadn't wet his diaper after announcing that he wanted to go potty, when I assured him that he had just gone potty before being diapered.)

I explained the situation to him and he insisted that he really DID want to go potty. Surprisingly, he really DID have to go! While starting to rediaper him, he announced "Should do this on the bed cuz it'd be much, much easier to do on the bed." (He's SO adult-like in conversation sometimes! Must've been a conversation that he and Daddy have had in nights past.)

On the way back to bed, he announced that he needed to check that basket for bedtime books. "Need at least two books!" he announced. (He was QUITE PLEASED to find three left!)

I'm hoping that we're on to something here and that he will quickly figure out that HE is in control of some of his fate. Fingers crossed; hoping for toddler cooperation!

• • • • •
On a separate note, we broke a brand new toothbrush out of the package for Silas tonight. He's never participated in tooth-brushing before, but seemed to LOVE being part of the bedtime routine! For the record, upper tooth #4 looks like it is just now poking through as a slit in his gums. Perhaps, THAT is why Silas had a fever today (102.6°F and 101.1°F post-Tylenol)... from teething?

Hoping our little man feels better tomorrow! He wasn't his normal, smiley self today and we missed that. He was, however, a snuggle bug - which was a nice change of pace since he doesn't like to cuddle like Sydney always did.

No comments: