Sunday, February 27, 2011

Trials with a Toddler

Monkey See, Money Do: Grandpa Lowell was using a knife to cut fresh fruit for he and Sydney the one day. Then, Grandpa ate a piece off of the end of the knife. I quickly motioned to Grandpa that THAT wasn't the best idea for Sydney to witness. Of course, a few days later, Sydney insisted "NO ME..." when we were slicing a banana with a butter knife and he tried to eat the banana slice off of the knife. I simply reminded Sydney "We don't do that."

Instead of NO, showing him a YES instead: While reading the book "How to talk so your kids will listen and how to listen so your kids will talk", I learned A LOT about parenting. Instead of beating myself up - sounding like a broken record (NO, NO, NO!) I learned to re-direct Sydney's attention. For example, the more we told him NO, DON'T TOUCH the knobs on the washer and dryer, the more he spitefully tried to disobey our wishes. Instead, thanks to this book, when I see that he is considering being naughty with the washer knobs, I tell him "If you want to turn knobs, you can turn THESE KNOBS on your kitchen."

I also use it with throwing objects. I remind him that if he wants to throw something, he will have to go find a ball because we don't throw toys or books.

Apples landed not far from tree: Mike and I are constantly pointing fingers at each other for Sydney's behavior. Mike likes to simply state "Apple Tree". I reminded him that I grew up with a CHERRY TREE in my yard and that HE was the one with APPLE TREES.

On Friday, Sydney got a naughty spell in him. He was a little stinker - purposely doing naughty things for MUCH of the day. He started drawing on the table (instead of on his paper) and I reminded him "We draw ONLY ON PAPER." As he continued to taunt me, I started picking up his crayons and taking them away. He quickly grabbed his entire cigar box of crayons and threw it across the table and onto the floor, calmly stating "Uh-Oh!" as if it was an accident. I got him down to help pick up crayons from the floor, but he motioned that he was going to color on the carpet. "We draw ONLY ON PAPER, not on the carpet." I reminded him. He grinned and started to scribble on the dining room rug until I managed to wrestle the crayon from his hand. (He knew I was upset with him. I locked him in his booster seat and made him watch me get the carpet cleaner out to scrub the blue crayon off of the beige part of the area rug.)

Later in the evening, he taunted that he was going to turn the knobs on the washer. I reminded him that he has KNOBS in his own kitchen to turn. The little stinker went out into the living room and grabbed a stuffed animal dog, bringing it back into the kitchen. Surely, I wouldn't get mad at THE DOG for turning the knob as Sydney directed it's paw to turn the knob. I shook my head NO and told him that THE DOG can go turn knobs in Sydney's kitchen too. Seconds later, he came into the laundry area with a set of toy measuring spoons. Clearly, it MUST BE OK to use the measuring spoons to tap at and turn the knob settings on the washing machine. He OBVIOUSLY likes to test his boundaries. Toddler Testing 1-2-3. Perhaps, he will someday be a lawyer since he likes to find the loopholes in "the rules."

Sydney also learned a valuable LIFE LESSON this past week: it is NOT a good idea to attempt standing ON A BALL. He tried standing on his rubber Winnie the Pooh ball and quickly discovered that they move. He fell down, banged into the storage bench and immediately needed a hug/kiss. (His pride was hurt more than anything.) I think he will think twice before doing that again anytime soon.

No comments: