Monday, January 3, 2011

You'd think it was the end of the world...

Thankfully, Sydney slept through the night last night for the first time in most of the week. (The dose of infant ibuprofen before bed probably helped, too.) It was a good night for everyone; although, when I announced that I had slept REALLY GOOD, Mike informed me "Yeah, no kidding!"

"Was I snoring or something?" I asked. (Thank you pregnancy hormones for relaxing all sorts of things in my body.)

"Oh, my...." he replied sarcastically. (It didn't surprise me at all since I woke with a lot of drainage in my head and throat, but the fact of the matter was... I slept GREAT!)

Being that Sydney slept through the night, I expected him to wake up feeling great and being his normal chipper self. Um, no dice. He woke with dried boogers stuck all over his face and was SUPER CRABBY! He refused to go near Daddy for much of the morning and kept whining "Mama, mama, mama..."

We used some Boogie Wipes to clean the dried snot from his face. (He had started sneezing yesterday afternoon and woke with some minor congestion today.... poor little guy.... as if teething wasn't bad enough on it's own... or maybe it is from teething!)

 

He SCREAMED and threw a fit when I set him down so that I could go to the bathroom. Afterwards, the wait while I washed my hands must have been UNBEARABLE to an incredibly impatient 19-month-old who OBVIOUSLY doesn't feel well. A dose of ibuprofen worked like clockwork... 30 minutes until RELIEF was in sight. While waiting for THAT to happen, there was A LOT of fussing:

Sydney SCREAMED and threw another fit when he had his mind made up that he was thirsty, but ONLY WANTED JUICE! (We offered him milk or water since we were informed at his 18-month well child appointment that we let him drink too much juice and I recently read in the What to Expect Toddler book that he SHOULD drink 3 CUPS of milk daily and we come NOWHERE NEAR THAT!) 

Sydney SCREAMED and threw another fit after we re-heated some Buttermilk Pancakes in the toaster. The traumatic part was that I had cut the pancake into bite-sized pieces for him. I guess at 19-months old, you suddenly give up bite-sized pieces and want to hold an entire pancake in your hands and take bites out of it, like a cookie. (Gosh, you'd think it was the end of the world or something...)

Later in the day, he ate very little for lunch and went down for his nap shortly thereafter, sleeping just minutes over an hour. (Let me tell you, that is NOT a lot of "down time" for me!) Woke in better spirits than the morning so, we decided to have a snack and get out of the house to run some errands.

Our local Culver's has Happy Hour from 2-4pm where shakes, malts & concrete mixers are buy one, get one free. Picked up a treat and took it to Mike at work.  (He also gets angry at the bank's drive-thru because he thinks that all drive-thru's offer french fries; today, we got NO FRIES, but I had to listen to him desperately say "Ahhhh..." over and over, announcing his newly-acquired thirst. Once there, Sydney did NOT want to share with Mike - even though I bought it for Mike.

Sydney started to throw a fit at the grocery store when I expected him to sit in the child seat with a seatbelt on (because he has discovered that he likes to ride in the back like a big kid, but refuses to sit or hold on - making it dangerous.) I side-tracked him by asking him to wipe off the cart handle with a disinfecting wipe and he soon forgot about riding in the back.

At home, he threw a fit when I set the grocery bags onto the sunporch, leaving him strapped in the car for a minute longer. Once inside, he threw a fit that I wouldn't let him play in the pantry (where he likes to stack canned goods into towers.) 

He SCREAMED and threw a fit when I placed the new infant forks & spoons from the grocery store into the dishwasher. 

He SCREAMED and threw another fit when he insisted that he play with more of our kitchen utensils, but I refused because he already had FOUR OF THEM laying on the floor in the kitchen and dining room; somehow, he was convinced that he NEEDED MORE!

He SCREAMED and threw a fit because he decided that he wanted to eat some of Grandma Carol's Christmas cookies for dinner and I denied him, saying "No, we don't eat cookies for supper." I got the leftover piece of pizza from the fridge and cut it into pieces for him, thinking that the excessive fussing was because he was hungry. 

He SCREAMED and threw a fit - still focused on the cookies and kitchen utensils. He kept it up for at least 5 minutes straight while I pretended not to notice. Finally, I went into the living room and sat in the recliner. He attempted to drag me by the hand into the kitchen. Calmly, I said "Please stop screaming. Let's talk."

He quieted briefly.

"Are you hungry? Do you want something to eat?" (Screaming resumes, shaking his head NO violently.)

"Are you thirsty? Do you need a drink?" (Screaming continues.)

"Do you want to go into the kitchen and help Mommy make dinner?" (Sydney shakes his head NO violently and again, attempts to drag me out of the recliner.)

"Well, then, I don't think I want to go into the kitchen." (He stops screaming and looks at me - puzzled.)

Again, I ask if he wants to go help me make something to eat; this time, he acts like it is THE BEST IDEA IN THE WORLD! We walk, hand-in-hand to the kitchen and he points to the new loaf of bread on the counter.

"You want to make a sandwich?" I ask. (He nods YES and points to the cabinet where we keep peanut butter.) "With peanut butter?" (Nodding YES!)

"OK, well, I think you need a chair to help in the kitchen. Can you show me which chair you want?" (He runs to the dining room and picks out a chair.)

"OK, now I need you to show me where to put it." (He runs ahead of me, into the kitchen, and points to a cabinet door, as if saying RIGHT HERE, MOM!)

While standing on the kitchen chair, he watched me make his PB sandwich and was happy that I offered him some raspberry jelly on it, too. He seemed happy while I cut it into strips for him to eat and set it on his plate, next to the pizza bites. Then, he started to fuss and scream again. (He was upset that the pizza was cut into bites and would only eat the part that I had left un-cut. Again, you'd think it was the end of the world that I offered him bite-sized pieces. What the heck was I thinking?

So, he nibbled off of the un-cut portion of pizza. Then, he had some of his PB&J, but soon started throwing YET ANOTHER FIT. This time, he insisted that he eat PICKLES! So, while I cut a pickle spear into bite-sized pieces, he started eating his bite-sized pieces of pizza. He quickly ate all of the pickle and started to throw a fit that he wanted MORE PICKLE, but I firmly said that ONE was enough so, he went on to eat his pizza bites & PB&J.

Now, I wonder: Is PB&J, pizza and pickles an odd craving combination? 

(Gosh, you'd think that SYDNEY was the one who was pregnant; thankfully, I had NO SUCH CRAVING and found the combination rather gross.) And to top it off, he insisted on having some ORANGE JUICE to rinse it all down. (Shiver. Gross.) Needless to say, a little while later, when he let out a BIG BURP, it smelled.... well, pretty darned gross!

After watching Aunt Sue, Rachel & Kristen eat ice cream (on Skype) - he decided that he wanted some ice cream so, I gave him a few bites worth in a small dish. (He really did NOT need more ice cream since he had Culvers, but I had truly had enough screaming by now.) 

He's starting to demonstrate QUITE A TEMPER, which I read has A LOT to do with the age. (Lucky me/us!) I'm sure that it doesn't help that he's teething, too.

After we took a shower together and got into our jammies, I gave him a dose of ibuprofen and we went through our normal bedtime routine. I was VERY RELIEVED when he settled down to go to sleep.

Yep, breathing a sigh of relief. Ahhh, much better!

No comments: