Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Our day in review...

Today started off as a good day. 

Sydney slept reasonably well, only waking at 10:30pm last night for a short snuggle with mommy. When we went downstairs, Sydney started saying "DaDa? DaDa?" wondering where Mike was. When I said Daddy was at work, he pointed to the phone and said "DaDa". So, we called to say "Good Morning." While the phone was ringing, Sydney kept saying "DaDa, DaDa, DaDa", but once Mike answered, he wouldn't say anything, but DID wave at the phone with his hand. Daddy had asked us if we were having OATMEAL for breakfast. Sydney shook his head NO. Mike suggested TOAST. Sydney shook his head YES. Although, after we hung up, Sydney INSISTED that we make oatmeal. (He is SO PROUD that he can point to all of the cabinets to tell me where we keep the oatmeal, bowls, measuring cup, brown sugar and raisins. He also has to stir it himself; he physically removed my hand that was holding the bowl in place because HE had to do it all himself. He's getting to be SUCH A BIG BOY!)

While the oatmeal was cooling, we had some fresh blueberries; however, he INSISTS that they be served out of a ramekin because an ordinary bowl just won't cut it. This kid KNOWS what he wants!

After breakfast, Sydney watched a little bit of television. Today's Sesame Street episode was about a case of "Mine-itis" so, I purposely did NOT turn that episode on. Sydney does NOT know the word "mine" and we hope to keep it that way for a while... While I was making myself breakfast, he came running into the kitchen to drag me by the hand to the tv. Elmo's World was featuring brushing your teeth. (This is the same episode that he watched yesterday, which explains why he insisted upon brushing his teeth every time we went upstairs yesterday.) During the segment, a little girl announced that she eats CARROTS because they are good for her teeth. Sydney immediately bolted to the kitchen and stood, pointing to the fridge. We opened the door and sure enough, he pointed to the vegetable drawer and INSISTED that he needed carrots, too. He took a bite and then, pointed to his mouth, announcing "teeth". Funny kid!

After I was done eating and Sydney was done with Sesame Street, I invited him into the kitchen to help me make a breakfast strata.  We used a glass and a biscuit cutter to cut shapes out of bread. I thought for sure that he would LOVE this part. He grew bored with it and just wanted to rip the bread. He LOVED snapping the ends off of asparagus; although, he kind of snapped the entire stem of it so, I had to pre-snap the end and then let him snap it into small pieces for me. He thought that was fun. His favorite job was helping with the cheese. The recipe called for process cheese cubes. I cut them into cubes and Sydney LOVED to arrange them on top of our torn bread pieces. Then, I gave him some shredded cheese that we needed to use up; he had a great time sprinkling that on our dish. 

While I diced some onions and ham, he disappeared into the living room. (I found him sitting in the recliner with a copy of Dr. Seuss' Green Eggs and Ham. He was flipping through the book, announcing "ham, ham, ham" as he turned the pages of the book. (It was cute!) When I was done dicing the ham, he enjoyed arranging that on top of the cheese and asparagus; although, you could tell that he REALLY wanted to pick up the entire bowl of ham to speed the process. After transplanting a few handfuls of ham, he DID pick up the entire bowl and dumped it onto our dish. Then, we spread it out.

He LOVED that we had to count out 6 eggs. Then, he did his Sesame Street LAUGH - like "The Count". (That, too, was SUPER CUTE!) He motioned that we needed to use the whisk to stir the eggs. This 19-month old certainly knows his way around the kitchen!

Sydney's lunch and nap were a little bit later than usual today. I still had time to shower before my haircut at the beauty school. (As I was hopping in the shower, I could hear a snowblower. Frank, across the street, had come to clean up all of our snow for us, for which I was VERY THANKFUL; although, I had promised Sydney that after his nap, he could go outside to shovel snow with Daddy.) 

On my way to the beauty school, my check engine light came on and the car displayed an error message: ALTERNATOR WORKSHOP! (Mike and Sydney were BOTH napping when I left so, I left a message on the answering machine so that I would remember what the error was.) After my SUPER CUTE haircut, I went home to have a quick snack and then, brought Sydney down for a haircut. When we got back home, we talked to the neighbor about the car problems and she offered to go with me/us to have it looked at. (She has a mechanic background.) I told her that we could do it AFTER dinner & swimming lessons.

When we got back from our haircuts and visit next door, the house smelled delicious; Mike had prepared dinner. We ate and got ready for swimming lessons. Tonight was our first session of Parent/Tot swimming lessons at the YMCA (since we did it in June). On the way, Mike glanced over at my dashboard and informed me "that's not your check engine light, that is the battery light". Within a few seconds, I suddenly had a few more lights lit on my dashboard and we scurried to turn off the heated seats, the radio, etc. As we drove, we watched the dashboard suddenly start to dim. Mike announced "You need to pull over right away." YEP, turns out, the car died a few seconds later. We tried to restart it, but it was DEAD-dead.

Mike offered to run home to get the truck. (He said he only lasted a few blocks running before he had to walk the rest of the way.) While we waited, I took Sydney out of his carseat (since we had to move it into the truck anyways to get home.) When I got out, I noticed that my back end was blocking someone's driveway. Great! (I thought.) I turned on the ignition and was surprised that it started so, I pulled ahead. When Mike got there, we restarted the car (again) and he turned it around so that it was headed in the right direction (home). I followed him in the truck. It didn't last very long so, thankfully much of the stretch home was DOWN-hill and he was able to coast. As we got closer to home, he pulled over and we switched drivers. I sat in my dead car, with it in neutral and he pushed the back end with his truck as I attempted to steer home.

Once we were home, he did announce that we cracked the paint off of the back bumper a bit. Neither of us were super upset by this. To both of us, it's "just a car"; in my past life, it would have been THE END OF THE WORLD. (Did I mention how much I LOVE my husband and how happy I am with this NEW LIFE OF MINE?) We went to the neighbor's house to see if we could borrow a battery charger (since Lisa told us to NEVER BUY ANYTHING without checking with them first). While Mike hooked up the car, Sydney and I tested out Sydney's new shovel (that he had been BEGGING to use for most of the afternoon.)

Mike hopes that the car has enough charge by tomorrow that he can take it to an auto store for a diagnosis. (We can rescue him in the truck, if needed.) We were relieved that THIS happened today instead of on our way to WI for Rachel's wedding later this week. Mike was also relieved that it happened NOW instead of while he's away at corporate seminars... which is in a few weeks. Hopefully, we can get my car back into action again... otherwise, we might be renting a car for the weekend!

Our haircuts are cute. Our bellies are full. We missed swimming lessons. The car is broken down. (And the truck is already scheduled to go in for over-due repairs next week.) Thankfully, we are all healthy and happy. 

Tomorrow is a new day. 

No comments: