Tuesday, November 4, 2008

(MS) Keeping an eye on it

During the night on Saturday-into-Sunday, I woke up rather alarmed because I had lost sensation in my left leg. I had noticed it once or twice before (within the past week or so), but blew it off - thinking that I must have just been laying on it funny. However, this time, I was pretty darned sure that I had not been laying on it. Granted, my MS has been going so well that I had started to take for granted how lucky I was so, this was a great surprise and somewhat of a disappointment for me.

At this point, I notice it only when I am sleeping (or should I specify - laying down) so, I am not sure if it is the MS acting up - or if I somewhere have a pinched nerve that affects sensation only in my left thigh. (If I had to guess, I would venture that it IS related to the MS though.)

I can feel pressure of touch, but not sensation. Then, during the day, once I am up and moving again, it seems to go away for the most part. My strength and coordination remain good so, that is optimistic.

I have tried calling UW-Madison twice to talk to my neurology nurse, but have now been told that she is out on vacation this week. (Perhaps it would have been nice to tell me that the first time I called.) So, since it is not debilitating (just slightly scary that it has resurfaced in my life) I will try not worry too much. Perhaps, just the stress of pregnancy and my battle with another  cold sore was just enough blast to the immune system to freak things out for a little while.

So, now - we will just keep an eye on it and I'll try to continue to be a great home for this baby.

No comments: