Thursday, April 4, 2013

Sink hole vs. Money pit

How horrific it was to see the news of the man in Florida who had fallen into a GIANT sink hole while sleeping in his bed one night.  I can't imagine that...

About a block away from our house, there is a duplex that is condemned. When we had gotten that horrendous rainstorm in July 2011, a large retaining wall along side of that property started to wash away with the GIANT cement blocks tumbling into the backyards below. I'm sure glad we don't live THERE!

In our house, originally built in 1896, we notice that our floors are not level and we joke that our house must be S-L-O-W-L-Y S-L-I-D-I-N-G down the back hill. Today, while playing in the yard, I noticed a hole in the ground and a nearby fault-line. I looked at it, perplexed, assuming that a chipmunk or gopher is likely to blame. Then, my mind went immediately to that Florida home with the sinkhole.


The odds of our property being on a sinkhole are slim; however, owning a home does seem to be like throwing cash into a giant money pit. It seems, there is ALWAYS SOMETHING to do...

Last Thursday, Mike and Silas replaced one of the windows in our master bedroom. On Friday, they replaced the second one. 


Eventually, Mike ripped off the old storm and exterior trim from ONE of the old front windows. Yesterday afternoon, he started adding NEW TRIM outside. It's looking very nice. 


Now that my bedroom windows look so nice, I wonder... how long will we live at THIS HOUSE? Is it worth it to replace some other windows as well? (I had written a check out of my divorce money... our rainy day fund... to pay for the master bedroom windows; well worth it, if you ask me... they are LOVELY!) Our office windows are in terrible shape; the interior plastic from the winter BLEW with the wind outside, showing how necessary it was to wrap these windows for winter in the first place. Our stairway window, a single pane of glass, was also quite drafty and had plastic both IN and OUTSIDE until the outside layer blew off; it sure would be nice to have that drafty, cold window replaced... preferably with one that OPENS for some much-needed ventilation on that side of the house. 

Oh, how I wish we had a crystal ball... to SEE how long we would live in this house. We're finding ourselves in an ever-anxious state of not-knowing. We COULD be here two weeks, two months or two years; there's no way of telling.

We always joked that we would get EVERYTHING just the way we wanted it and THEN, would find out we are moving. Maybe THAT is why we aren't good at completely projects 100% - leaving a little bit of each undone.

We've remodeled the kitchen and bathroom. We replaced every light fixture inside our house (except the pantry and basement.) We installed new carpet runner on the stairs and re-carpeted the entire upstairs. We've gotten it CLOSE to how we'd like it.

I'm guessing that we'd look for something completely different in our next house – wherever THAT may be. One thing IS for sure... whenever we kill time by looking at houses in random Midwestern cities, we struggle to find a kitchen as lovely as OURS. (We LOVE our faux tin ceiling, our lovely light fixtures and our knotty alder cabinetry selections.)

 

WHO KNOWS?!?!?! We just have to wait and see what happens... Hopefully, our next house will have (or be) a smaller money pit. 

No comments: