Thursday, April 4, 2013

AWESOME NEWS (another MS drug gains FDA approval)


I was THRILLED to recently discover that a new (oral) drug has been approved by the FDA for MS therapy. (March 27, 2013.) The new drug is an oral, taken twice daily.

I did a little reading online and became intrigued; afterall, the words "CAREFUL! Mommy had a shot there!" are NOT the memories I want my kids to have of me.

I put a call in to my neurologist's office. (April 1) I've been playing phone tag with them ever since to ask them my slew of questions. (I'm HOPING to connect with them tomorrow.... April 5.)

I learned, via the website for the new drug, that most people can qualify for a $10/month copay. (I am currently on an assistance plan for my current SHOT, paying $35/month instead of my $85/month copay.) From what I read online, the cost of the new medicine is about $55,000/year (about $150/day). My current med (shot) bills insurance for $138/day.

I am anxious to learn more and hear my doctor's take on it all.

And THEN, comes the hard part of: making a decision!




No comments: