Thursday, April 25, 2013

(PRE)SCHOOL DAYS

Often, we ask Sydney about school. He seems to enjoy it pretty well. Some days, he has more to talk about than others. He seems to like most of his classmates. When we ask him if he has a girlfriend, he tells us "Wew, dere's dis one wit-toe girl named Kimberly. She's a cute wit-toe girl..." 
(Translation: Well, there's this one little girl named Kimberly. She's a cute little girl...)

Last week, during lunch, he informed me "Something SAD happened at school today, but I can't tell you..." so, I proceeded to guess all kinds of random things, making him giggle. Eventually, he told me that he was playing with Kimberly and had asked her if she wanted to come play at our house. She said NO! (He was sad.)

Tuesday, we were running a little on the late(r) side and took too long washing our hands before school (because it is SO FUN to make faces and check yourself out in the giant mirror in the bathroom instead of keeping the focus on hand-washing .) 

SO... it turns out that we MISSED Kimberly's show & tell. (Sydney had been excited that it was her turn for Show & Tell, wondering WHAT she would bring to school.) As we were hanging up his jacket and schoolbag into the cubby, I asked her "So, what did you bring for show & tell?"

"Buzz Lightyear." she replied proudly.

Sydney got a bucket lip and burried his head into my shoulder, crying.

Thankfully, his teacher - Mrs. Julie announced "Sydney, I'll bet Kimberly can show you her Buzz Lightyear toy now before she puts it away." ALL BETTER.

Then, he and Kimberly ran over to join the rest of their class for circle time.

As we were leaving, Silas asked "Peek at Sydney through window. Please?" As I glanced in, I saw Sydney and Kimberly nuzzled closely together with their shoulders touching. I was glad that I had my camera in my bag; I took a few pictures.

Kimberly noticed Silas and I peeking in the window and started poking at Sydney and pointing to the window, but he remained pretty interested in the book that the teacher was reading about CHICKENS and EGGS.




BIKE WEEK has been going on this week. I had asked the teacher what time they ride, wanting to capture this memory at least once. She told me when it will happen again in May, but I decided that I wanted to get it now, in case they end up going outside or if Sydney happens to be sick next time around, since the end of the schoolyear is fast-approaching. So, Silas and I went back this morning.

We got to watch half of the class sing a song with their teacher. 


Then, they drew pictures - relating to the activity. 


Soon, the classroom was flooded with children and they were ready to send the second half down to ride bikes.








The substitute teacher ended up asking Silas "Do YOU want to ride too?" (He had sat back, watching so patiently.) Oh, man... he thought she would NEVER ASK! 


He proudly hopped on a bike and started to make his way into the path of big kids. Sydney was proud to tell his friends "Dat is my baby brow-wer." Every few minutes, the teacher had them switch bikes so that anyone who wanted to ride the tractor would get their turn.

Back in the classroom, it was time to play again.... (while mom took a few more pics of the classroom to document the memories.)






No comments: