Thursday, October 11, 2012

Thankfully, I am NOT AVERAGE

I was upset earlier when reading an online article that talked about MS progression and disability, related to age at diagnosis. The way the article sounded, I should expect to need some sort of assistance walking within 18 years of diagnosis. Crunching numbers of when I was diagnosed, I was saddened to calculate that I'd (likely) have only EIGHT YEARS left. Immediately, I thought about all of the fun that I didn't want to miss out on, being that my kids are only ONE and THREE years old and it made me sad. Quite sad.

I was also sad to read that my average life expectancy, having been diagnosed with MS, is 74. (I later learned that the average life expectancy for the US is 78.2 so, I wasn't quite as sad seeing that it wasn't THAT MUCH different. I guess I had anticipated living much longer than that... and still HOPE TO DO JUST THAT!)

Then, I was recently reminded by friends and family that this article had talked about AVERAGES, that I have had (and hope to continue having) a very mild case since diagnosis and that I really am far from average. (PLUS, hearing of other patient's cases... I feel SO THANKFUL for the course my disease has taken thus far.)

According to some quick research on the internet, an average American women is 5'4" - 5'7'', weighs 164.7 pounds and wears a size 8 shoe. I am FAR TALLER than that, weigh less than that and have MUCH LARGER feet! Therefore, I really am NOT AVERAGE by any means.

I think I will go back to living the life of an ostrich, sticking my head in the sand and hiding from the fears of MS. If I put it out of my mind, hopefully, it will continue to leave me alone. I'd say I've had reasonably good luck with that these past 11 years since my symptoms first appeared (or 12 years since official diagnosis). AND I do have that medicine as my safety net right now.

Yeah, I'm pretty thankful that I am NOT average and I plan to BE JUST FINE! Sadness.... BE GONE!

No comments: