Thursday, September 22, 2011

Brotherly love


Sydney has been affectionate towards his baby brother. The two of them ADORE each other! (It is touching to watch their interaction and I look forward to the future when Silas is old enough to play WITH Sydney!)

Lately, Sydney takes a lot of effort to make sure that Silas holds onto Sydney's finger or hand (while Silas is laying on a blanket on the floor). He also makes sure that Silas has a toy to play with; although, sometimes sharing his own toy(s) is a hard thing to do.

Sydney makes sure that Silas always gets to come too, wherever we are going.

A few days ago, a dime fell out of my pants pocket when I was unpacking my bags from the weekend visit to WI. Excitedly, Sydney announced "MONEY!" (To a two-year-old, putting money into the piggy bank is much like winning the lottery, I think!)

When I asked him what we should do with the money, he quickly announced "put in pig bank".

"Which bank should we put it in - yours or Baby Silas?" I questioned, expecting an answer filled with greed.

I was pleasantly surprised when he immediately announced "Put in Baby Silas pig bank, mommy!"

With a cold night upon us, I gathered our polartec duck blankets to wrap around the mattress in both cribs, hoping to add extra warmth - like flannel sheets. I announced to Sydney that it was going to be pretty cold tonight and that we were also going to turn on the heater in their room. Sydney (proudly) got to pick which duck blanket went on which bed. Soon, I overheard Sydney announce "Dis blanket for baby 'tilas. Told out tonight."

I praised him for being so thoughtful and generous and then, tried to explain that Silas is too little to have a blanket. I even showed Sydney how Silas was (double-bagged) dressed in a sleeper AND a polartec sleep sack so that he would be warm enough at night tonight, since he is too little to have a blanket.

At bedtime, Sydney makes sure that we read a bedtime story for Baby Silas; sometimes, Sydney likes to read the story to him (or at least show him the pictures and talk about what happens in the story).

Sydney also makes sure to give Silas plenty of hugs and kisses throughout the day. And ALWAYS makes sure to say "ni-night" to his brother at naptime and at bedtime. It is SO NICE to see the near-constant displays of brotherly love.


NOTE: If you pay close attention to this photo, it gives a subtle hint at what Halloween will be like at our house this year. :)

No comments: