Thursday, January 29, 2009

Moving at a different speed in Iowa

These days, I am moving at a different speed of pace. I am enjoying my days off of work and away from germs (since quitting my teacher's aide job); although, somehow have managed to get a head-cold which is wearing me down significantly. Seems that I need plenty of fluids and sleep.

I get up around 4am each day with Mike and have breakfast (because by 4am, I am normally QUITE hungry) and then, when he leaves for work around 5am, I am able to go back to bed for a few more hours before waking naturally on my own. By then, I am hungry again, too.

The cats have a whole new routine, as well, which is to avoid the dog as much as possible. They really do not enjoy spending much time outside of the bedroom and find that UNDER the bed is their new favorite spot. During the day, when the dog is gone and we have the house to ourselves, I like to lock them out of the bedroom so that they can explore and get used to the sounds of this house. They did discover that the screened-in porch on the back of the house is rather nice though. With temperatures rising into the high 30's by the weekend, we may just have to "step outside" so that we can all get a little fresh air. (They enjoy rolling and stretching on the cold concrete, for some odd reason.)

This week, I have been to church a few times for coffee hour; although, I do not drink coffee, nor do I really know anyone, but the invitation was there and I had nothing else going on. Indeed, that is the life of a retired person, for sure. I don't know that I can get used to that yet.

Pace of life is different in Iowa. It seems that people do not drive in such a hurry and I am finding that people wave as you drive down the road. (MUCH friendlier than in Minnesota.) This weekend, we are talking about going on a date to the movies to see the new release NEW IN TOWN, starring Harry Connick Jr and Rene Zelwegger, which is "set" in New Ulm, MN. (I wonder how many times I will have to go to the bathroom during the movie...)

The dial-up modem is also slowing me down a bit.... I am finding out how spoiled I am and how much I enjoy surfing at high-speed. All in due time, we will have a place to call our own again and will be pampering ourselves with high-speed internet, cable and unlimited telephone useage again.

Baby must be growing. Baby book reports that it should weigh A WHOLE POUND (or more) by now! Movements are becoming stronger and stronger. In bed at night, I can place my hands across my belly and feel thumps in various locations. Sometimes, I try to let Mike feel, but it must be movements on the inside that I am feeling moreso, since he isn't able to feel a whole lot yet. From the sounds of it though, he shouldn't have a problem much longer as baby will become stronger and more active. I can report LOTS of pressure on the bladder again so, position must have a lot to do with that. There are still days when I feel very little movement and others where I swear that there are aerobics classes going on in there.

I am enjoying pregnancy. It is a little more challenging to suffer through a head-cold without medication, but other than THAT, some belching/burpring and a little swelling in my badly veined left ankle, I really have no complications or problems to report. Belly still is not big enough to keep the maternity pants securely in place so, I must tug at those quite a bit - or else walk on the pantlegs moreso than I would like.

Better get on with my day. I have a lunch-date with Mike.

No comments: