"Mom, I know what I'm going to do when I get bigger..."
"You mean what you're going to be when you grow up?"
"No, I mean... like... when I get bigger... I know I'm going to marry Mary."
"Mary?"
"Yep, I'm going to marry Mary."
"Cool."
"Yep! Mary Guard."
• • • • • • •
Oddly enough, this afternoon at kindergarten pick-up, I mentioned Sydney's intentions to Mary's mom, Dana. She laughed.
"You know, Sydney is on the short list for Mary to marry, too; It's between Sydney and the neighbor boy. Gosh, I don't remember liking boys until much later in life... you know, like second grade."
"Funny!"
"We'll have to see..."
I didn't have the heart to tell her that the chances of us staying in this community are slim as a Mike's promotion or transfer is likely forthcoming; we keep HOPING to make it through the schoolyear. I guess in the event that we DO move away, Sydney will have to look her up someday... when he is in college... so that their paths will cross again. Mike is pleased that her parents are Iowa State fans; for them, I'm sure the feeling is mutual. I find myself wondering if it is a deal-braker that Sydney isn't Catholic.
• • • • • • • •
On the rug at circle time, Sydney sits next to Cecilia. (She told me once that she had brain surgery and they accidentally put a super smart chip inside her brain and that she was part robot; no wonder Sydney likes hanging out with her! He LOVES robots!!!) If I didn't know any better, I'd say that Cecilia has a small crush on Sydney. I didn't want to point it out to him though. He's got his heart set on Mary right now. Chances are, his heart will be broken many times in his lifetime. (I recall a handful of elementary, middle school and high school crushes for myself...)
Mary sits at Sydney's (green) table in kindergarten. She seems to be a delightful little girl. Her twin brother, Max, is also one of Sydney's best friends in kindergarten. Sometimes, Max calls him names. We remind him that he can say "That's not my name. My name is Sydney, but you can call me SYD if you want to."
Many of the kids, Sydney included, mispronounce Sydney's name. Sometimes, a slip of the tongue and he quickly becomes Cindy.
Only Auntie Karin calls him Syd, but I'm guessing he will go by that shortened name as he grows bigger.
He's such an amazing kid! As a parent, it is nice to hear other people take notice of your child and compliment his good nature and good behavior. "He's such a sweetheart" is the most common description. We think so too.
No comments:
Post a Comment