Number 2 has been busy entertaining us lately. He likes to move around when Mommy sits down to eat, lays down for bed or in the morning hours when he decides that it is time to jump on my bladder a bit, forcing me awake in a hurry. He also seems to like bedtime when we read stories and snuggle with Sydney. (Or perhaps, he really likes Sydney's loving ZERBERTS on my belly and the gentle caressing of the tiny hands patting my belly and playing with my belly button.)
If only Number 2 knew how many hugs and kisses he's already received....
Number 1 is now 19 months old and often gives us a run for our money. He challenges us quite a bit. He's VERY SMART and likes to manipulate the situation to test his boundaries. When we tell him NO, he finds a way to see what he can get away with.
For example, when told not to eat crayons, he will slyly place one in his mouth and hold it with his lips, as if taunting the adult figure by saying "HaHa, I'm not really eating it!"
Sometimes, he purposely does naughty things. When asked "Do you need to sit in the naughty corner?" he proudly nods his head YES and runs over to the corner to sit down, grinning all the while; this, he likes to turn into a game.
He has just started liking to kick his feet in protest of diaper changing. We remind him that we kick balls, but NOT PEOPLE, but he continues to kick. (He likes when Mike attempts to restrain his legs from kicking and thinks that it, too, is a game.) Lately, I have just started pivoting his body on the changing pad so that his feet are away from me and he quickly loses interest in kicking when he has no one to kick.
Sydney LOVES to help unload the dishwasher! When he hears the clinking and clanking of plates, he comes running to the kitchen. Often, we ask him "Where does this go?" Surprisingly, he almost always knows EXACTLY which cupboard, cabinet or drawer that we keep things. I was recently AMAZED that he knew where we keep our yellow colander (because we almost NEVER use it, but he knew right where it goes... in the corner cabinet on the very top shelf... by the stacked metal ones that we DO use often).
Sydney's favorite thing is to watch Sesame Street on TV. He becomes oblivious to the world going on around him; although, sometimes, he will run to find us, dragging us by the finger, to show us something exciting (funny or scary) on the tv. (Yesterday, he was QUITE CONCERNED when Mrs. Sparklenose was sucked into the Genie's vacant bottle and couldn't get out; he dragged me to the tv and pointed with a look of concern on his face. He is a very compassionate kid.) This morning, when Mike was leaving for work, I told Sydney to say "Bye-bye" to Daddy. Without breaking eye contact from the tv, he lifted his hand in the air and waved towards the door.
Last night, I had started chopping an onion for a new recipe while Sydney played with toys and watched a partial episode of Sesame Street. I had already dragged a chair from the dining room into the kitchen for Sydney to assume his position as LITTLE HELPER. All of a sudden, he came flying into the kitchen and hopped up onto the chair. "I was wondering when you would be ready to help cook." I announced. (He smiled.) Pointing to the can on the counter, I informed him that we needed to open this can of tomato sauce and asked him how we should open the can. Without hesitation, he pulled open the silverware drawer and grabbed the can opener. (I was impressed.)
We measured out our dry ingredients and put them into the crockpot. (I purposely use a 1/2 tsp. measuring spoon to measure full teaspoons so that we have more opportunity to scoop and dump, which Sydney LOVES to do!) A few minutes later, I laughed out loud when he crouched down on his chair so that he could point to the line of the measuring cup and view the meniscus of the BBQ sauce from eye-level. (Somehow, I doubt that most 19-month old kids are this interested in cooking and this kind of precision. I guess his love of watching the Food Network with his daddy is shining through.)
STATS
Fully clothed - wearing a diaper, onesie, shirt, pants, socks, shoes and winter jacket - he weighed just over 24 pounds on the OB's hallway scale on Thursday morning.
He stands approximately 33" tall (as he is starting to have a harder time walking under mommy's long legs.)
He has 15 teeth: 4 uppers, 4 lowers, 4 molars, and 3 eye teeth. (The last eye tooth is just now starting to poke its way through the surface of his gums.)
He wakes between 7:15 and 8:30am, depending upon how quiet the house is.
He naps just once daily now, normally right after lunch. (Unfortunately, a 75 or 90 minute nap are NOT a lot of time to get a lot done around the house, especially if I am trying to be quiet.)
We normally start bedtime routine between 7:30 and 8:15. He unwinds with a few bedtime stories and then, we turn out the lamp. Sometimes, he likes to lay on the mattress on the floor in his room while other times, he likes to snuggle in the recliner with mommy. After a few minutes, I announce that it is time for him to go in his bed now. He's starting to fight less with bedtime, making it easier on me. {EDITED 1/1/01: Bedtime struggles are back into full-swing again; teething doesn't help, I'm sure... or the fact that when Daddy is home, they snuggle in the recliner together for the entire duration of the nap. Someone is SPOILED.}
His favorite word is UP! (Other favorites are Mama and Dadda.) We go through a routine with him: what does a dog say? (woof, woof) what does a cat say? (eee-Oww) what does Santa say?(HoHoHo) what does "The Count" say? (Ah, ah, ah)
He's starting to say more words: OP has to be determined by context... it can be STOP, MOP or HOP. SSSSSSsssss is by context as well... it is either the sound a snake makes, nuts or raisins.
While folding laundry, I was AMAZED when Sydney pointed to Mike's t-shirt and proudly announced "A". Surprised, I asked him "Which one is an A?" and he pointed his tiny finger directly to it.
He is QUITE a kid and I'm sure will someday be a GREAT teacher to his little brother!
No comments:
Post a Comment