Thursday, September 16, 2010

Road rash from running shoes

These (Champion) shoes...
are made for walking... and climbing... and running...
in the life of a VERY ACTIVE 15-month old boy named Sydney.

Unfortunately, sometimes, when wearing these shoes, Sydney falls down.

This morning, we were outside and mommy pointed out that there was a basset hound/beagle standing at the corner near our house. Sydney took off running. Unfortunately, his feet got ahead of himself and he ended up tripping. As if in slow-motion, by ironically SUPER FAST, I watched his feet running through the air Charlie-Brown-style as he flipped over onto his face. I think I held my breath, hoping that his right arm would be OK since it is still "healing" from his Greenstick Fracture from last month, but his face seemed to be the only injury incurred.

Immediately, I picked him up. He was crying, which is not like him. (I think it scared him more than anything.) "You banged your head." I announced as he rubbed his forehead with his hand. He had some blood on his nose and I saw that his face was all scraped up. I took him inside so we could look at it in the mirror.

"Look, there is some blood on your nose." I pointed out.

Sydney took that as a cue to QUICK, wipe your face on mom's yellow shirt. I grabbed a Kleenex and we dabbed at the remaining blood. Then, he pointed at his eye. "Should we wipe there, too?" I asked. He nodded his head YES so that we dabbed gently there, too.

Sydney decided that some fresh blueberries would make him feel better. (Must be the healing power of those anti-oxidants that he was craving, right?) 


We took a self-portrait to document his fresh battle wounds before heading off to the dining room. (He just wanted to play with the camera.) 


As he sat in his highchair, I noticed that his face was starting to look tiger-striped and appeared to be looking worse than our self-portrait, just minutes earlier. His puffy lower eyelid/cheek was starting to ooze a little bit, too.

I called Aunt Sue for her medical advice on cleaning it: Warm, soapy water and some anti-biotic ointment, for sure, she suggested. Peroxide if he was cooperative. Needless to say, we skipped the peroxide because washing his face is more than enough battle. 

Uncle John called on the phone and we chatted for a few minutes while Sydney ran around the living room, smelling like poop. After I was off the phone, I diapered him and was then, able to put SOME ointment on him, but he wouldn't let me get much by his eye. (His forehead, nose and cheek were all OK to touch.) He, proudly, watched in the mirror as we smeared it on him. 

Shortly thereafter, we headed upstairs for a nap. I noticed that he had started rubbing his face and eyes, which is his tell-tale sign that he is tired. (Itchy nose, most of the time.) Then, he smeared his oily fingers on a page of his book. Hard to imagine how much ointment will be left after his nap, as he tends to flip his face from side-to-side when falling asleep.

Good thing that Daddy reminds Mommy often: BOYS GET BUMPS!

No comments: