Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Oatmeal Bath (in that order) and an Uh Oh

This morning, Sydney woke a little earlier than usual; today we woke at 6:40am. We ventured downstairs to get him a cup of juice and some Cheerios, in an attempt to fend off the morning hungries and distract from the urge of BEGGING for milk. We were fortunate enough to be able to sit on the sunporch and watch the garbage truck on the other side of the street, which is pretty exciting stuff for a 15-month old.

We drank juice, ate Cheerios, watched the Local on the 8's and turned Sesame Street on for a little while so that Mommy could make some breakfast and a phone call to the insurance company. While I was on hold, I made some oatmeal - WITH MILK - in an attempt to get more calcium into Sydney's diet. (He's still VERY hit-or-miss on the cow's milk-thing; still, I feel that skim milk is better than NONE. Eventually, we hope to get him higher up the fat-chain, as far as MOO-JUICE is concerned.)

Sydney was SUPER EXCITED that I let him feed himself oatmeal. It had been THREE WEEKS of a casted arm that prevented this messy activity. He did AWESOME maneuvering his right hand and spoon like a pro! Cast? What cast? I've forgotten about it already, mom. See, my right hand works JUST FINE. In fact, at one point, I even refilled his bowl with MORE OATMEAL and he ate every last speck of it. (Of course, sometimes he eats almost all of the raisins out of it first before finishing off the oatmeal.)

Grandpa Lowell normally makes himself a 1/2-serving of oatmeal for breakfast. I'm pretty sure that Sydney ate JUST AS MUCH as Grandpa today, if not more! We followed up with some fresh blueberries and some MORE Cheerios! Today, Sydney was an eating machine!

After our messy breakfast, I took him straight to the bathtub. We added some bubbles, a sandbox shovel and a bath duck to the water for some extra fun. Sydney was busy playing and splashing away. After a short time, I noticed that the splashing had stopped. Uh-Oh... never a good sign! All of a sudden, Sydney stands up - leaving behind a well-formed 6" turd, some tomato skins and random pellet-sized pieces of poo.

I quickly scooped him out of the water and re-bathed him in the kitchen sink. (He DID like the dish soap bubbles much more than the baby wash bubbles.) After I diapered him, I called Mike at work.

"Can you do me a favor today?" I sweetly ask my husband.

"Sure, what do you need?" he quickly replies.

"Will you clean the bathtub for me?"

"Yeah, I can do that."

"Great! Thanks! By the way, there is a GIANT TURD in it."

"Whoa, that wasn't there last night." Mike informed me, laughing.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I tease.

"Um, I think I might have to work late today." 

"Bull." I call his bluff, knowing good-and-well that he gets off at 10:30am.

"Yeah, that's fine. I can take care of it. I'll be home in a little while."

(It only seems fair that Daddy takes a turn... I've had to clean up all the other POOP BATHS so far. I guess it was good timing on Sydney's part - being that we needed to clean the tub again anyways. I'm guessing that Mike may not be as willing to agree to FAVORS after the trickery of this phone call.)

Now that Sydney is napping, I guess I can wait a little longer to shower...

No comments: