The first time, he bit the side of my thigh while I was sitting down. I scolded him.
The second time, nearer to bedtime, TRULY HURT when he bit on the back of my thigh and even broke the skin through my yoga pants as I was standing in the living room.
Instantly, I screamed.
I grabbed ahold of his upper arms and picked him up - facing me - and yelled "NO! We DON'T BITE!" (The little stinker LAUGHED IN MY FACE!!!!!) I was NOT wishy-washy. I was angry and stern. Sadly, he does not read emotion well at just 16 months old.
Mike suggested a time-out so, I took him to an empty corner and sat him down. He was NOT HAPPY with that. I reminded him repeatedly "We do NOT BITE!" Being that he is ONE YEAR OLD, time-outs are only effective for one minute, if that, according to experts.
Afterwards, he looked as if he was going to try to bite me again on the shoulder, but I reminded him "Don't even think about it." I left him with his Daddy while I went to put clean bedding on Sydney's crib.
Oh, how I wish I had all the answers.... being a(n) (effective) parent is tough!
No comments:
Post a Comment