Here is some of my proof to back up my statement:
SHOES
A few days ago, I pointed across the living room and told Sydney "Go get your shoes." He did the wobbely-walk over to grab one of his shoes and proudly returned to me. He sat in my lap and we put on his shoe. Then, I said "Go get the other shoe. Go get your shoe." He hopped up out of my lap and went to retrieve the other shoe so that we could put it on.
For ten months old, walking alone is a smart baby. Being able to tell him to go get his shoes, in my mind, is an even smarter baby!
I also believe that he would understand if we told him to "go get a book".
He LOVES books; although, sometimes, he thinks they are for eating/chewing. (This is why the board books are the wise choice, instead of paper-paged books.)
We had joked with the Chiropractor that Sydney would have been content, at Christmas, with just wrapping paper because he was not interested in the gift(s) since he had all of this paper to eat. The chiropractor said "as parents, we could have saved ourselves a lot of money and just bought a notebook (for them) to eat the pages."
CAT(S)
Whenever we say "Sydney, where is the cat?" (or more specifically "Where is Eddy?" or "Where is Otto?") he will start to scan the room in search of the cat(s).
While reading one of his books the other day, I asked Sydney "Where is the cat?" and he immediately pointed to the drawing of the cat in his bedtime story book.
That, I believe, is a smart baby.
GRANDPA'S HAT
Each week when Grandpa Lowell comes to visit, he and Sydney play with Grandpa's hat. Initially, it had been used to play Peek-A-Boo. Now, however, Sydney knows that it goes on your head.
A week ago, Sunday, Grandpa told Sydney "Go get Grandpa's hat." And our (smart) baby did just that.
NOT-SO-SMART
Sydney does, however, demonstrate some "not-so-smart" skills as well.
DIAPER
Every day, for the past ten months, we have started our day with a diaper change. Almost every day, Sydney protests this diaper change. (You'd think he would catch on...)
HANDS & FACE
For the past five months, we wash Sydney's hands and face after he eats; Ninety percent of the time, he protests.
Again, you would think he would associate the pattern of eating and wiping clean. However, while discussing (this concept) with fellow-parents/neighbors Will & Kate, they spun it on me by saying "Yes, but EVERY DAY he tries to tell you that he doesn't like it, yet every day you do it (to him). So, now, WHO isn't catching on?"
Hmmm... I never thought of it like that before. (Sydney= smart baby)
CAT PUKE
This morning, when we went upstairs, Sydney quickly crawled into the office. Right inside the door, he found a small pile of cat puke. I quickly removed him from it, washed his hands in the bathroom and immediately attempted to distract him with his Baby Einstein toy. I quickly scurried (six paces) to Sydney's room to grab two butt wipes to clean up the puke, only to discover (12 steps later) that Sydney had also quickly scurried (back) to the pile of puke. As I stepped into the room, I watched him quickly scarf a piece of kitty kibble puke into his mouth.
YUCK!
Mike says that Sydney IS smart to eat the pre-digested ones because they aren't so hard and crunchy; instead, they are nice and soft. He is also SMART to eat it quickly before mom has a chance to (freak out) take it away.
This kid has a one-tracked mind and doesn't forget easily.
At breastfeeding, he will discover someone that has a water bottle; when they put it in their lap (to get it away from him) he remembers WHO had it and will check back within a few minutes in search of the water bottle. For him, out of sight is NOT out of mind.
Some people's kids... I tell ya...
No comments:
Post a Comment