Friday, April 2, 2010

Doc says: Hand, Foot and Mouth Disease

Sydney has managed to hold onto his fever since Wednesday so, we took him to the doctor this afternoon. (We figured that it was best to do it now instead of take the chance of having to take him to the E.R. during the holiday weekend.)

Doc says that the fever does NOT have to be treated unless he is lethargic or fussy. Otherwise, it is safe to let it run its course. Other than a fever, and not being nearly as mischievous as normal, we haven't noticed anything else. No rash. No loss of appetite.

Doc did find a few red bumps inside his mouth, which confirmed his diagnostic guess, that coincided with the fever: hand, foot and mouth disease.

Doc says that he has been seeing a lot of it right now; plus, given Sydney's age and the rate of putting things into his mouth - almost inevitable. He said that if he is still fevered on Monday, that we should call.

I didn't think to ask the doctor if it is contagious... or if we are at risk of getting it. I stopped a nurse in the hallway and she confirmed that YES, it IS contagious and that chances are, I had it as a kid. I'm not sure how long he is contagious for, but from the sounds of it - he could have picked it up from just about anywhere... shopping cart, shared toy, floor, etc.

Poor little guy... hope he feels better soon!

No comments: