We dropped off a baby gift to Mike so that he could get it to his boss. (Sydney kept finding the pretty wrapped package so, we had to keep moving it.) Then, we went to Walmart to pick up a few items. Sydney rode in his stroller and had a big smile on his face since he could sit back, relax and enjoy the change of scenery. He flirted with countless people in the store while keeping a tight grip on a container of oregano. In the pet department, he got to look at a tank full of goldfish, which didn't impress him like I had suspected it would.
After Walmart, we went down the road to Target in search of 1) a small plastic cup for Sydney, 2) generic infant motrin and 3) a mirror for the backseat of the car so that mommy can watch him while we drive. (Ironically, Walmart had NONE of these items and I refused to pay $7 for name-brand motrin; Target is a nicer store, too.)
At Target, Sydney walked from our parking spot – all the way into the entrance of the store. The proud look on his face gained LOTS of attention from this walking wonder of only 9.5 months.
We looked for a mirror first. They had an Eddie Bauer one for $19.99 or a musical/educational Baby Einstein one for $29.99. Of course, Sydney was fascinated with the tri-lingual, musical version, but we aren't in the market for one THAT BAD. (We'll hope that the Burlington Walmart has the $15.00 ordinary one in stock since Dubuque was out of it.) From there, we headed to the toy department to admire the aisle of toys that are suitable for 6 months and older.
Sydney smiled from ear-to-ear when he heard one of the toys sing "Head, shoulders, knees and toes..." You could just see that AH-HA moment as he realized "Hey, I know that song!" There were MANY TOYS that intrigued the little big guy. He is fascinated with buttons, lights, singing/talking toys.
We also found Sydney a small plastic cup (with monkeys on it), which turned out to work great for his little hands once we got home to try it out. (Ours were too tall; he had to tip them too high to drink from them so, I wanted to find ones that were kid-sized.)
On our way to pick up the generic motrin, Sydney discovered that his cup(s) make noise when dropped onto the floor. (What a fun game!) Then, at the checkout, I set him down so that I could dig out my wallet and he saw an endcap of wine bottles, which he decided that he wanted to go see. When I wouldn't let him pursue his fascination for beer/wine/soda/water bottles, he screamed and threw himself onto the floor.
"Oh, you're going to try that?" I asked. "Sorry, it's not going to work kiddo." (I was shocked to see him attempt to throw a temper tantrum in the checkout line. He's ONLY 9.5 months old! Where is this coming from? Notably, he has started getting more vocal at home - raising his voice when he becomes frustrated; I guess we've got some work cut out for us.... better break this habit SOONER, rather than later. He'll also SCREAM for 45 minutes straight, protesting a nap, which he demonstrated yesterday before Mike caved in, allowing Sydney to WIN the battle of the nap.)
The woman ahead of us laughed. "Well, it was worth a shot, right buddy?" He instantly turned on his charm, showing off his chipmunk grin and laughing his new-found (forced and somewhat obnoxious, but partially cute) laugh. "You ARE adorable!" (Funny, I think he knows it, too.)
Some people's kids... I tell ya! :) Normally well-mannered and well-tempered, he still is darned cute!
No comments:
Post a Comment