Today, we went to breastfeeding support group and weighed in. Last time, January 6th, I believe Sydney weighed in at 19# 2 ounces so, I was a little surprised to discover that after all this time, he has gained next-to-nothing.... weighing 19# 5 ounces. And today, I was even more surprised that he geeked out on the scale, having his own mini-panic attack. (I'm not sure what THAT was all about?!?! We've done this for the better part of 7 months now... he shouldn't have a sudden fear of being laid upon a scale now.)
Then, the nursing student that was "trying to help" took too long to find our sheet (to log it) as I stood holding a naked baby - all the while hoping that he wouldn't pee on me - that I had forgotten what he weighed and had to attempt to lay him on the scale yet again. (The nurse assumed that the sheets were filed in alphabetical order, but they are NOT. I knew that I was the second-to-last sheet within a certain section so, wished I could have done it myself. I kept trying to tell her where our sheet was, but she wouldn't listen. And being that I am not a "numbers type of girl", I quickly forgot the specifics.)
Thankfully, Sydney did NOT pee on me! (You always take a chance, you know... especially when you are in public and only have spare clothes for the baby along.)
When it was our turn to talk, the lactation consultants couldn't believe that Sydney is only 8 months old. They claimed that he doesn't have a "baby look" and that he looks like a little man. (Yep, yep, yep... we [started by Uncle Mike & Grandpa Olson] call him LITTLE BIG GUY.) They also determined that his standing and walking abilities make him advanced for his age, predicting that he will be walking on his own in no time. (I didn't mention to them that he LOVES to go UP the stairs already as well.) At breastfeeding, Sydney just keeps trying to keep up with all of the 10 and 11-month old girls.
As for the weight gain, or lack thereof, he is QUITE ACTIVE so, we need NOT worry.
Returning Home: Yay, Daddy's Back!
When we got home, after running a few errands, I was excited to see Mike's truck in the driveway (since he had been gone overnight to corporate seminars) and his smiling face greeting his family at the door. He helped me carry things in and was quick to break Sydney out of his carseat.
"Do you remember who I am?" Mike asked of his son.
Sydney smiled from ear-to-ear, showing off his bottom two chipmunk teeth.
"Yay, you DO remember!" he said as he collected a giant hug.
He looked at me. I looked at him. "I thought he was with you..."
Later in the evening, I went into the kitchen to check on dinner. As I stood in the kitchen, I had heard the pitter patter of Sydney crawling on the hardwood floors of the dining room towards me. Then, when I glanced on the kitchen floor, I noticed he was not there so, I peered into the dining room and then, into the living room.
Mike looked at me. I looked at him. "I thought he went into the kitchen to be by you." he says.
We quickly glance at the stairs to find Sydney (proudly) on step #4. (Little stinker.)
Dancing machine
We keep catching Sydney "dancing" whenever he hears singing, a catchy jingle/commercial or music of almost any kind. Tonight, Sydney had pulled himself to a stand in front of the television and wiggled his little butt from side to side. Mike turned on a mexican music channel on tv and Sydney demonstrated these dancing skills. Mike turned the tv off and the dancing stopped. He turned the tv back on; and the dancing resumed. (Dang it... low battery in the video camera!!!)
I'm relieved that he doesn't dance like his mother... like a frog in the blender. :)
To bed with some bruises...
Around bedtime, Sydney had started to get fussy... part of that was because we kept blocking his path towards the stairs with our legs. In protest, he ended up banging his forehead on the floor with a loud THUMP before starting to cry.
Needless to say, he went off to bed with some bruises tonight... as he had also bumped (and [very small] cut) his upper eyelid on the corner of our bedframe this morning.
It's a darned good thing that Mike keeps reminding me:
BOYS GET BUMPS!
No comments:
Post a Comment