Saturday, January 5, 2013

The Most Peaceful Meal of the Year

Tonight, I am sad that Mike missed the MOST PEACEFUL Meal of the Year! I realize that it IS only FIVE DAYS into the new year, but when you've got small kids... meals don't ALWAYS go as planned.

On the plates of the boys:
Carrot Sticks, Fresh Broccoli and Ranch Dip
handful of Blackberries
2 slices of apples
Chicken Tender strips with Honey (for dipping)
*Salad for Silas - he tasted mine while I was making it in the kitchen so, I gave him a little of his own.

Sydney sat at the table patiently working on puzzles while Silas helped with dinner. As soon as Sydney heard the timer, he ran into the kitchen to check on the status of the chicken (that he had requested for dinner). I allowed him to (carefully) carry his plate to the table. I thought he would come back to help carry the plate for Silas, but he didn't.

Then, as he sat by himself, I overheard him quietly saying OUR family prayer.

Thank you Mommy and Daddy
and Sydney and Silas
for a wonderful family. Amen.

"That chicken is probably still too hot to eat!" I quickly reminded.

"I know, Mom. I'm just going to start on some of this other De-wish-us stuff instead while I wait for the kick'n to cool off."

I LOVE THAT KID!

During dinner, Sydney ate ALL of his food. He asked if he could have more fresh broccoli so, I shared mine with him. He politely asked for 2 more glasses of milk AND he asked for more chicken. He ate every last bite of food. And when he was done... he carried his plate into the kitchen.

There was no fussing. There was no whining. There were NO temper tantrums. There were no games. It was DELIGHTFUL! (Oh, how I would LOVE for this to be the case for EVERY meal.)

Welcome, Sydney... to the Clean Plate Club!

• • • • •
For the record, last night was THE MOST PEACEFUL BEDTIME of our toddler years! Bribery MIGHT be to blame for it, but I had convinced Sydney that IF he stays tucked into his bed and doesn't come out until the clock says 7(am), he could have his new puzzle. (I didn't specify that I would let him have ONE; it was a 4-pack that he picked out at Daddy's work last night from the Clearance Toys. No fussing. No games. We didn't hear a peep out of him until he came into our bed, after the clock read SEVEN. It was AWESOME! (Hoping for a new cooperation trend to be starting...)

No comments: