When we got home, we asked "How did it go?" (We were hoping for a good report since Silas had JUST been upgraded to a big boy bed.)
"It was interesting." she replied.
"Uh-oh. Why? What happened? Did they not go to bed well?"
"No, they went to bed just fine. I've just been a little freaked out."
???
"Your cat.... (scanning the room)... not that one, (Eddy) but the other one (Otto) ran through here a little while ago with a mouse. He ran upstairs and I followed him. I think it is under your guest bed. I made sure to shut the door to the boys room so that he wouldn't take it in there. It looked like a fresh kill. It appeared soft and limp. I think it is still up there... somewhere."
My hero, Mike, went upstairs with a flashlight and searched under the bed. When he came out empty-handed, he noticed that Otto (for once) was NOT under the bed. Otto sat calmly under the computer desk. Sure enough, right in front of him lay his prized dead mouse. Mike took it outside and disposed of it.
I am SO THANKFUL that we have cats!!!
No evidence of mice. Hope that was the only one. Traps are now set. And my cats are likely THRILLED for the opportunity to play with more. I'm hopeful that we're DONE with them!!!
• • •
This morning, immediately upon him waking me up, I headed to the bathroom and Sydney followed me. As I went to the bathroom, Sydney announced "You and me. We both don't wike (like) mouses in our house. Do we, mommy?"
"No, we don't!"
• • •
We've NOT ever been to Pepper Sprout before. This was our Valentine's Day date, I'm told.
Pepper Sprout was great! (http://peppersprout.com)
We saw the chef walking through while we were looking at our menus so, I stopped her, asking "If we have never been here before, what do we have to eat to guarantee that we will come back again?" She suggested the venison dish or the pork tenderloin so, those are the dishes that Mike and I selected. (Mike had seen something that he wanted immediately when he saw a menu online, but the discovered that they have a WINTER MENU and the dish that he wanted is NOT on that menu so, he had to settle for something else.)
Mike and I giggled while we ate... when he announced "I was meant to have venison because we're going to Deer Camp after this!!"
Mike had:
Grilled pepper crusted venison tenderloin with a blackberry cabernet sauce. Served with caramelized onion, chipotle sweet potatoes.
I had:
Pan seared pretzel crusted pork tenderloin with a bourbon, molasses, mustard sauce. Served with caramelized onion and chipotle sweet potatoes.
I had soup... tomato basil with artichoke and feta cheese; could tell it was homemade and NOT a just-add-water soup that so many places claim as homemade. I liked it a lot. Mike had caesar salad. Both were good. Homemade caesar is HEAVY on the garlic, but was good. (We were, thankfully, warned of that prior.) Homemade bread was very tasty... you could tell she (chef) used a nice blend of spices in it. The chipotle sweet potatoes were really good. Neither Mike, nor I could figure out at first where the slight HEAT was coming from and couldn't put our fingers on it exactly; it was nicely done.
For dessert, we had an Irish Car Bomb cake that had Guiness, Bailey's and Jameson Irish whiskey in it. It was a dark, dense chocolate cake with a cream-cheese-type frosting and homemade rich chocolate sauce drizzled on the plate. It was WAY BETTER than the desserts we've had anywhere else.
It would be worth going back for a special occasion... Mother's Day/my birthday, an anniversary, etc. but I think you couldn't afford to go there all the time.... at least, WE CAN'T afford that. It was, however, a WONDERFUL DATE! (And we are hopeful to go back... Mike will keep his eye on the men for the Potato Gnocchi that caught his eye from a past season's menu.)
From there, we went to the Grand Opera House and saw "Deer Camp: The Musical". It was quite entertaining. Two of the 4 castmates were the brother Darrel and the other brother Darrel from the Bob Newhart show.
It was a FANTASTIC DATE NIGHT! (I'm one lucky wife!)
No comments:
Post a Comment