Thursday, January 21, 2010

You know it must hurt when

As I was ready to stop blogging and sneak downstairs to do dishes, you started to cry. I tried to give you tylenol so that you would be comfortable throughout the night, but you fought it. (I think I got a little into your mouth without you spitting it out!) Then, you nursed... FOR OVER AN HOUR before I pulled you off to return you peacefully to your bed. (I'm convinced that you simply find comfort in it and I'm OK with that.)

As assessed from our past few days, here's my take on teething:
  • You know it must hurt when you want to chew on your blanket (or hat) while riding in the car.
  • You know it must hurt when the mere thought of the Tylenol wand inserted into your mouth makes you scream.
  • You know it must hurt when the icy cold gel teethers (straight from the freezer) are not allowed into your mouth, but instead are held in your hand while you cry uncontrollably.
  • You know it must hurt when you wake up crying every 30-60 minutes throughout the entire night and can't go back to sleep unless nursed or snuggled.
  • You know it must hurt when mommy and daddy can tell the time by the next dosing of infant tylenol - since it seems to wear off with an hour to go before we can dispense more.
  • You know it must hurt when it takes exactly 28 minutes before the tylenol kicks in and all fussing instantly stops.

To remedy the pain, you are given a free pass to nurse whenever you need to - regardless of how tired mommy is from getting yet another sleepless night. You will be given tylenol to make life more tolerable, especially during the night (since we are having an alright time occupying you with playing and climbing the stairs during the day). In the morning, you will find your monkey rattle has been soaked in water and thrown into the freezer; hopefully, you will find this comforting to your sore mouth.

It looks like tooth #3 should be poking its way through at any second... WHAT A BIG BOY YOU ARE BECOMING!

No comments: