Saturday, May 23, 2009

Today was a pretty good day (for this fat girl)


Just thought I would quickly report (before bed) that TODAY was a pretty good day for this fat girl.

Yesterday, I had dug out my wedding ring to wear to our photo session and by evening had discovered that my fingers were swelling and that I had to PRY it off so that I could move it back into SAFE KEEPING. I wanted to have it on in the maternity photos in case they did any hand shots. I wonder, on my many excursions to the grocery store, how many people see this poor fat girl as an unwed mother waddling behind her Wal-mart shopping cart because her ring finger is naked. (Perhaps no one truly notices at all, but I do find myself pondering the looks of sympathy.)

This morning, I rose from bed earlier than I had hoped, but it is because I felt achey in bed. (I had stayed in bed for the better part of 8 hours – less 3 (or so) nocturnal trips to the bathroom.) I'm guessing that it is from the changing position of the baby - in hopes that he is dropping lower. My body has been tired, my joints stiff and my sciatic nerve pinching on & off. Then again, it (my body) is carrying a lot of extra weight and is forced to sleep in the same dreaded position(s) – either left side or right. (I can't wait to sleep on my stomach again... to not get up specifically to urinate... or to be able to curl my back inward without the belly bulge blocking the bend!!!) My legs have REALLY been suffering the most lately - as the past few days I think that I have sat less than usual and found that my legs each feel as if they weigh a half ton. It is especially noticeable when attempting to go UP stairs or to heave my leg into the car. And you gotta love the sudden, sharp-shooting groin pains that can almost take you to the ground in .3 seconds FLAT! I did mange to find some comfort sitting in the recliner in the early morning hours while Mike slept for a solid 10 hours.

After Mike was awake and had coffee flowing through his veins, he had started working on some HANDY HOMEOWNER PROJECTS off of his HONEY DO LIST. Last night, Mike had attempted to get a sympathy vote from his dad (Grandpa Lowell) by announcing that "after working 55-60 hours this week – my wife, who doesn't work, wants me to mop the kitchen and bathroom floors on my day off." (I remind him that my body is ALSO QUITE BUSY WORKING... working on growing this baby. By the way, he IS just teasing and would gladly help me with the floor since that mopping motion was difficult for me the last time I tried it.)

Grandpa Lowell replied "Well, that should take you about 10 or 15 minutes - TOPS."

(Hmm, not the response Mike was looking for.)

Mike was busy for most of the day today: He had removed our kitchen sink and faucet and replaced them with the ones that we had purchased on Valentine's Day (which had been waiting patiently in the garage to be installed in our house). He installed a garbage disposal as well, but needs to finish the electrical work on that. (I was THRILLED about that since a garbage disposal was on my birthday wish list, right behind BABY SYDNEY.... and we all know that I didn't get THAT for my birthday!) He also removed the bathroom sink and faucet, replacing that with one that has a small vanity built-in underneath (since we have ALMOST NO STORAGE in our tiny bathroom). BOTH SINKS ARE HUGE IMPROVEMENTS IN OUR HOME!

He also installed the replacement pump in the pond outside of our dining room window and watered our plants, which he proudly announced that ALL OF OUR TOMATO PLANTS ARE NOW FLOWERING! (How exciting... fresh grown tomatoes will taste GREAT this summer! Mmmm, bruschetta... fresh salsa... BLT's... MOUTH WATERING!)

He questioned me about pulling up the carpet in Sydney's room and showing off the natural hardwood floors that we believed were underneath, but we discovered that the floors are NOT in good shape in that room. We had also discussed it as a possibility in our bedroom – to discover that the current carpet has been GLUED to the natural hardwood and would need to be sanded and refinished in order to bring them back to their natural beauty. Needless to say, we put the carpet corners back down as we had found them. (Guess we won't be doing either of those projects any time soon, especially after our recent expensive trips to our favorite home improvement store. We're still contemplating painting our outdated kitchen cabinets and deciding if we want to do new kitchen flooring or new kitchen countertops. None of these are budgeted for yet this year as MEDICAL will eat up a large portion of our finances this year.)

Grandma Olson AND Grandma Carol called today, both of them catching the answering machine... and BOTH of them had wondered (on their message) if we were at the hospital since we were not answering our phone. (SADLY, we were NOT.)

I told Mike that I am getting a little discouraged that Baby Sydney doesn't want to come out to meet us yet. (Mike assures me that "He'll be out when he's ready. Remember, he doesn't want to come until HIS birthday.) I am pleased to announce that I started having more contractions again today, since the past few days had been on the quiet front.

All in all, it was a pretty darned good day – and I enjoyed spending it with Mike.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Oh my gosh. That SO sounds like my husband. "Why do I have to help with dishes? You are here all day." HA! Only my hubby isn't joking. I loved the point your Grandpa made about it only taking 10-15 minutes. I told Hubby that and he didn't know WHAT to say then! Hehehe :)

I'm glad you can relate to the no ring wearing thing! I thought people looked at me funny in the beginning too. Like they were wondering if I ate too many Krispy Kremes or if I was preggo. Hehe :)