Sunday, March 15, 2020

Put up a fight

This is the first pandemic event that I ever recall experiencing in my life. As I watched it unfold, it was a problem in OTHER parts of the world. Within a reasonably short time, however, it crept into our country and has been identified in nearly every state. Every few days, the number of confirmed cases seems to DOUBLE with its exponential growth.

I'm saddened to hear that Italy has been forced to decide WHO should live and WHO should die. Today, I read that they are no longer saving seniors and I wondered HOW OLD IS A SENIOR? Immediately, my brain thought of my grandmother, my father in law and my own parents and I pondered what it would be like if there was a shortage of hospital beds and ventilators and the medical professions's inability to save THEM if they were Covid-19 victims. (Shiver.)

I know that this illness terrifies me when I hear that anyone could succumb to it.

I know that my pre-existing condition of an autoimmune disease (MS) is a red mark on my own record. I know that the disease modifying therapy that I'm on (infusion every six months) increases my risk of respiratory infections. I know that illness can cause MS attacks. I know that I do NOT want to get this Coronavirus, nor do I want to spread it to my senior loved ones, my family or kids at school.

I know that risk factors for complications include smoking, obesity and co-morbid conditions.

I know that my hands are dry and cracked, sometimes bleeding from frequent hand washing. I know that I've had my own hand towel in the bathroom for a few years. I know that I don't share drinks with anyone.

I know that I followed my twin brother into this world and entered at a whopping three pounds, ten ounces and 16.5" long. I know that my odds of survival at nine weeks prematurity were NOT in my favor and doctors were unsure if I would survive my collapsed lung. Somehow, I had a fighting desire inside of my tiny body and a will to live.

I know that my MS diagnosis didn't squelch my fighting desire that remains with me still today.

I know that I have NEVER smoked anything in my entire life. I fought hard out of the gate; I don't need to wreck the chance I've been given. I'm not overweight; in fact my BMI is on the lowest extreme. I walk often; Fitbit tells me 3-7 miles per day. I enjoy BodyFlow and Yoga classes whenever I have an opportunity to go or a babysitter. I enjoy reading a book while riding a recumbent bike so that I can exercise my brain AND my body. I love to cook and eat delicious* and nutritious food. (*note - gluten free bread is NOT typically described as delicious.)

I know that I've overcome so many obstacles. I know that I found Mr. Right while looking for myself. I've birthed one baby with an epidural and one without, both times bringing tremendous levels of joy into my already happy heart.

I know that I dispense happiness and optimism into the world on a daily basis. I know that I am making a big difference to impact many other humans positively. I know I've been described as annoyingly happy and that there is a smile on my face more often than not. I know that my goal in life is to dance with my sons at their weddings; THEY are my reason to live, my desire to push myself harder, to eat well, to exercise, to give myself injections or to take higher risk medicines, to be the best role model I can be. I want to be a good mom and to watch them become good humans.

I want to write books.

I have a stuffy nose and a cough. I take allergy medicine most of the year. (When my deductible is met, I was hoping to do a food allergy test to ensure that nothing in my diet is causing the post nasal drip or right side stuffiness that I often experience.

I dislike hearing that this illness presents with cold symptoms. I keep hoping to avoid it.

As I head into the germ infested world where the world fights the Coronavirus (covid19), I'll gladly wear latex gloves for protection or boxing gloves to put up a fight.

No comments: