At bedtime, Sydney hugged me and started to cry. He said that he didn't want Mike or I to get Covid19 and die. Despite missing hanging out with Tylor, he's at peace with our idea of staying home and staying 'safe', but I think that he remains nervous that Mike continues to go to work each day. (Mike reports that the store has been really busy and he is dumb-founded how many people are out shopping with their kids, and how they invade personal space.) I'm thankful that Mike is scheduled to be on vacation next week, matching our Spring Break week, but nervous when he has to go back the week after - when numbers will be significantly higher.
We set up a will when the boys were little. We've talked about it with my boys a handful of times over the past few years; they know that in the event that both parents die, they will live with my best friend from high school, her husband, and their two sons. (They live here in town and we know that they would do everything they could to keep my boys accessible to my family.) I assured him that our money goes with the boys to care for them.
Sydney wondered "But what if THEY die, too? Then, where do we go?" (He's the same kid that wonders "if the fire station is on fire, WHO will come help put out THAT fire?")
I told him that I suspected that they would go with either of my two local cousins and their kids OR with my brother, sister in law and niece. I assured him that SOMEONE will take care of them.
Silas was calmer and quieter, but equally snuggly. He finally just said, "can we please just stop talking about this?" and hugged me tighter.
-----> It is so hard to not know the answers to their many questions and it is difficult to find the right words to set their minds at ease.
They are both HATING the virtual learning and both MISSING SCHOOL terribly. (They enjoy it immensely when they are free to play coding games, but don't like being held accountable for getting their work done.) We're still trying to get into a groove and figure things out. They keep asking WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL? WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO SEE OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY? WILL ANYONE WE KNOW DIE FROM THIS?
I told him that I suspected that they would go with either of my two local cousins and their kids OR with my brother, sister in law and niece. I assured him that SOMEONE will take care of them.
Silas was calmer and quieter, but equally snuggly. He finally just said, "can we please just stop talking about this?" and hugged me tighter.
-----> It is so hard to not know the answers to their many questions and it is difficult to find the right words to set their minds at ease.
They are both HATING the virtual learning and both MISSING SCHOOL terribly. (They enjoy it immensely when they are free to play coding games, but don't like being held accountable for getting their work done.) We're still trying to get into a groove and figure things out. They keep asking WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO GO BACK TO SCHOOL? WHEN WILL WE BE ABLE TO SEE OUR FRIENDS AND FAMILY? WILL ANYONE WE KNOW DIE FROM THIS?
They joke that there are only two things to talk about on the news: Coronavirus and Weather.
We're doing a good job of being outdoors each day. Our dog is LOVING all of the extra walks and attention. Just bought them some sketchbooks to do some art today. We've done some cooking together. I'm wanting to get back to our family read aloud book; it's been a long time since we've touched it.
We're appreciative of the free lunch for the boys from BASD. (My paychecks put food on our table.)
We're appreciative of the free lunch for the boys from BASD. (My paychecks put food on our table.)
I'm scared, knowing I'm higher risk (of fighting off Covid19). I've had cold symptoms on and off since early October and still never got rid of my cough from then. I'm congested again - with a cough - after having itchy ears, throat and eyes... again. (Just today, my neurologist just cancelled my upcoming pre-infusion appointment so, I'm wondering what they will do with my medicine; they don't like to leave us untreated. I understand that I'm safest at home but wonder FOR HOW LONG?)
Mike assures me that we've got some money in the bank. We've got investments, which have lost about 40% in the past month. We've got life insurance. He tells me we'll be fine. (We're hoping Menards is allowed to remain open through all of this and that he'll remain employed.)
HOW CAN WE CONVINCE THE BOYS THAT THEY DON'T NEED TO WORRY? (As numbers continue to rise and it gets closer and closer to home, it will obviously, be harder.)
They recently commented on how bad they feel for people who have a birthday while this social distancing is going on. I can't help, but to think that this will continue to go on throughout all of our May birthdays. I just bought some puzzles today; likely a small celebration with this meaningful gift: Two fishermen in a canoe puzzle for Silas. A Where's Waldo-ish BOOK puzzle for Sydney. (I also have a Harry Potter Wizzard tshirt and socks purchased for Sydney's birthday and need to get something similar, but fishing themed, for Silas.
We finally have word that my parent's April trip to Ireland has officially been canceled so, we no longer need to worry about that.
I, too, miss school terribly. I miss the kids! I miss sharing smiles with them and knowing that I'm making an impact on their lives.
Wondering how to deal with all of these fears/concerns/anxieties?
I haven't slept through the night in close to two weeks. Our house is in a state of disarray. I'm trying to continue to make happy memories.
I feel like I should be cleaning and disinfecting more.
Mike assures me that we've got some money in the bank. We've got investments, which have lost about 40% in the past month. We've got life insurance. He tells me we'll be fine. (We're hoping Menards is allowed to remain open through all of this and that he'll remain employed.)
HOW CAN WE CONVINCE THE BOYS THAT THEY DON'T NEED TO WORRY? (As numbers continue to rise and it gets closer and closer to home, it will obviously, be harder.)
They recently commented on how bad they feel for people who have a birthday while this social distancing is going on. I can't help, but to think that this will continue to go on throughout all of our May birthdays. I just bought some puzzles today; likely a small celebration with this meaningful gift: Two fishermen in a canoe puzzle for Silas. A Where's Waldo-ish BOOK puzzle for Sydney. (I also have a Harry Potter Wizzard tshirt and socks purchased for Sydney's birthday and need to get something similar, but fishing themed, for Silas.
We finally have word that my parent's April trip to Ireland has officially been canceled so, we no longer need to worry about that.
I, too, miss school terribly. I miss the kids! I miss sharing smiles with them and knowing that I'm making an impact on their lives.
Wondering how to deal with all of these fears/concerns/anxieties?
I haven't slept through the night in close to two weeks. Our house is in a state of disarray. I'm trying to continue to make happy memories.
I feel like I should be cleaning and disinfecting more.
"Happiness is really feeling like you've impacted another human being positively. I think a lot of people want their work to be like that." – Johann Hari, LOST CONNECTIONS
No comments:
Post a Comment