Silas wakes dry almost every morning. He *might* have one accident per month. Regardless, we have continued to put HIM in diapers every night while every morning, he proudly announces "I have a dry diaper!" (We diapered HIM so that big brother wouldn't feel badly that his baby brother had mastered potty training before HE did. We continued to use the same darned diaper every night.)
NOW, we're trying a bed alarm (from Sydney's preschool teacher). It detects the slightest bit of moisture.
Our first night, I woke Sydney before I came to bed. Mike woke Sydney when HE had to go potty. I woke Sydney when I had to put Silas back into his bed. Sydney woke up DRY!
Second night, we told ourselves we were going to "see what happens" and thought it best NOT to wake him a lot. That night, *YAWN*, BOTH BOYS wet their beds. Sydney at 1:10am, Silas at 3:45am.
Third night, we agreed NOT to wake Sydney. However, I went to bed LATE and had a hard time falling asleep. Then, Silas ended up in our bedroom so, when I put HIM back to bed, I took the opportunity to have Sydney go potty (so I could sleep!) His alarm went off around 3:45am.
This afternoon, we talked to the pediatrician's office - wondering if we are going about this right. (They assure us that it is NOT yet a problem until he is older, but supported our attempt at TRYING now.) Of course, they didn't tell us ANYTHING NEW. Cut off his liquids after 6pm. Have him go potty at bedtime. We CAN wake him ONCE in the night IF WE WANT TO or wait to see what happens. (YEP! Been doing that!) We can, of course, call them back in a few days if things are not working yet.
Sydney was heart-broken that I cut off his liquids at 6pm. Devastated that he couldn't have his cup of water in his bed at 8pm. (Thought he might dehydrate from crying.) At bedtime, he kept telling me that he needed to go potty. (I followed him the last time, suspecting that he kept sneaking to the bathroom to drink straight from the sink faucet.)
We'll see where TONIGHT goes.... this MOM is going to bed (early tonight!)
SO TIRING! With any luck, we'll get the hang of this SOONER, rather than LATER. (His teacher reported that it took only THREE DAYS for her second daughter to master it.) Fingers crossed.
No comments:
Post a Comment