Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Sydney is WINNING

Sydney has started playing games at bedtime AND naptime. He discovered a few days ago that if he gets out of his bed, declaring "I'm not really all that tired..." that I had let him sit and read a book for a few minutes while I finished cleaning the kitchen. Sadly, he has tried that same line... along with the other regular excuses (have to go potty, need my blanket on, I can't sleep, need my babygate open) for every sleeping opportunity since.

Mike and I had discussed (something I read on Facebook) a plan to stop all of the GAMES. Mom and/or Dad are able to take a pillow or blanket from the child as a punishment for screwing around.

SO, we declared "Mom/Dad will put your blanket on you ONE TIME. If you get out of your bed, YOU will need to put your blanket on yourself. Otherwise, mom/dad get the blanket!"

Sydney pretended to understand THE RULES.

Last night, he played his usual stall tactic games and ended up fussing and carrying on because he wanted US to put his blanket on him (AGAIN). After a few minutes, which may have felt like HOURS, Mike caved in and gave Sydney his blanket back.

The way I saw it: Sydney won!

Tonight, Sydney did a repeat performance; however, he won some extra snuggle time in the recliner with Daddy while protesting the NEED to have his blanket back. (He lost IT for lying about needing to get out of bed to go potty... again. Mommy declared that he also lost television privileges for tomorrow, but Daddy stepped in, announcing "I got it...")

At one point, after 10 minutes of Sydney yelling and knowing that Mike needed to get to sleep since he wakes EARLY in the morning, I informed Sydney that "that is enough... GO TO BED... NOW!" Mike passed me in the hallway, went into the linen closet, grabbed a towel and proceeded to give it to Sydney in lieu of his blanket. (I informed Mike that Sydney IS winning if Mike gives him a towel; Mike assured me that HE needed to get some sleep and that he DID NOT CARE anymore.) Sydney freaked out about the towel... wanting ONLY his blanket.

I went downstairs. (Frustrated and feeling defeated.)

I allowed Mike to handle the situation that carried on for a while longer.

Moments ago, on my way to bed, I peeked into the room and found Sydney snug in his bed WITH HIS BLANKET - just like last night!

Sydney IS winning!

No comments: